600RevB:16K,2MHz,64x32,470,CEGMON
SuperKit:502,540B,542B,CEGMON, 8" and 5" FDDs
Cards:PE IO,6522 D-A-D, AY3-8910,ProgramGraphics,Color,UK101
WIP:HexDOS,FDD Emulator
dave
Site Admin

Re: Does anyone remember Polk Hobby?

Post by dave »

Yup, and I can't even take credit for the NIM game. That was from Phil. Otherwise, I'd have nothing.

However, with the activity picking up, and more of us getting our systems to work, perhaps I can't neglect the software page any longer.
bxdanny

Post by bxdanny »

I certainly remember Polk's Hobby Shop, and the OSI computer section in their basement. As I remember, the technician was Hank, and there was a salesman named Dave. I was a founding member of the OSI users group that met there, later called OSUNY (before that name became associated with the BBS system one of the members ran that catered largely to "phone phreaks"). You also mentioned the store on 20th Street where the meetings moved to when Polk's closed it's computer section. Well, I worked at that store. The owner was Hal Pollenz, who had previously worked at the OSI factory.

I want to thank Dave (presumably not the one from Polk's) for maintaining this board, and also Mark Spankus for his excellent OSI emulator.

BTW, I registered on this board some years ago, but forgot what I used as a user name. So I had to register again, but had to use an email address that is not my primary one, since I could neither register a second user name under that email, nor retrieve what the original user name was.

-Danny "bxdanny" Schwartz
No current OSI hardware
Former programmer for Dwo Quong Fok Lok Sow and Orion Software Associates
Former owner of C1P MF (original version) and C2-8P DF (502-based)
lowrybt1

Post by lowrybt1 »

Danny,

We must have crossed paths at some point, at user group meetings. I certainly remember Hal -- he modified my C1P so that I could interface it with a modem and some type of thermal electrostatic line printer. Thanks for bringing up good memories.

Tom
C8PDF w. 48K, 2x 520 24K RAM boards and Glitchworks 64K board
OSI 567 Telephony board
Spare 8" drives
Klyball D-13
bxdanny

Post by bxdanny »

Naturally, I now found my original user name on this board (Danny S.) and the initial post I made when I was briefly using it three years and some months ago: see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=73
No current OSI hardware
Former programmer for Dwo Quong Fok Lok Sow and Orion Software Associates
Former owner of C1P MF (original version) and C2-8P DF (502-based)
lowrybt1

Lunar lander

Post by lowrybt1 »

It's been a while since you proposed a great modification to my old lunar lander game. Well, I've decided that I'm going to recode the game for 32x64 (C4/C8) and will try to include the 45-degree version of the lander. Thanks for the inspiration. Tom
nama wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:42 am Was thinking the 45 degree graphics could be something like this...

lander45.jpg

grid.jpg

Not perfect, but as you are probably aware, 45 degree graphics are tricky.

Phil
C8PDF w. 48K, 2x 520 24K RAM boards and Glitchworks 64K board
OSI 567 Telephony board
Spare 8" drives
Klyball D-13
nama

Post by nama »

Sounds great...looking forward to it.

2P (1mhz 32k) - 502 + 8k + CEGMON + garbage collector fix BASIC, D&N MEM-CM9 + 24k, 540 (mono) [SOLD]
4PMF (2mhz 24k) - 505, 540, 527, D13 + 5.25" + Gotek
Superboard RevD - CEGMON + 610 board 24k + D13
Spares - 3 x 527, 1 x 505, Backplane