Good Times

Introduce yourself and reminisce
guyfrost

Good Times

Post by guyfrost »

Hi everybody!
My very first computer ever: my older brothers osi 600 superboard II. Fond memories. Too bad it got lost. A while back I found the emulator for it and made some nice little things. That was fun. I'm way better at 6502 now than I was at BASIC back then. ; ) But I wonder if it'll work on real hardware. So now I'm looking into getting my hands on a working system again. But they seem kind of rare nowadays. Is there anybody out there who can help me? : )
- Thank you.
dave
Site Admin

Re: Good Times

Post by dave »

Welcome!

The Superboard II/600 boards pop up on Ebay from time to time.

If you want to try building your own, Grant (Klyball) made some really nice replica PCB's of the 600 and 610 boards, plus a data separator if you want a disk. He has version that uses Cherry keys, for which he created custom keycaps, and is otherwise identical to the original. I believe Grant still has some of these available for sale. I also have several of these, at cost.

Another great option is Vince Briel's SuperBoard III, which is a Superboard II workalike using the Propeller chip for video and I/O. It's easier to build since it has fewer parts, and you can also get it pre-assembled.

Dave
guyfrost

Post by guyfrost »

Thanks! Good to see there's still people around who know about the OSI. :)

I think I'll monitor ebay for a while first. But are the replicas exact copies? That should work too. I want to check for snow, some specific timings and other quirks, so the real thing would be best I think.

Kind regards,
Guy Frost / DESiRE
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

The Klyball boards are near-exact reproductions. The only difference, as I mentioned, is that the PCB's he made use Cherry keys instead of the originals. The layout is otherwise essentially identical. Check out this thread, showing Grant's build:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=196

Dave