Web-based OSI Emulator

jeffpar

Re: Web-based OSI Emulator

Post by jeffpar »

Actually, if you were using Firefox, there was a problem, and I've applied a work-around, so hopefully it'll work for you now (after you force the browser to reload everything).
Thanks,
Jeff
Steve Gray

Post by Steve Gray »

It wouldn't work for me in IE9 but was ok in Chrome.

Steve
C4P working, C1P working. 600D Replica working, C4P+D&N floppy not working. 505 board, 610 board, Mittendorf board, TOSIE hacker board need testing, PicoDOS disk untested.
jeffpar

Post by jeffpar »

But IE9 should be working now, right? I think I've fixed all the browser issues.
Thanks.
Screen Shot 2012-08-27 at 9.04.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-08-27 at 9.04.57 PM.png (240.5 KiB) Viewed 11758 times
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Hi Jeff,

It was Firefox, but now it is working quite nicely. Awesome. I would like to link to your site from OSIWEB, if you don't mind. I will be making an effort to get more software online in the near future. Would it be possible to feed files to your emulator, manually, or even invoke the emulator with a URL that embeds a URL pointing to a file containing an ASCII-format BASIC program, monitor dump, intel hex memory dump, or DISK image, perhaps in an XML or JSON wrapper, so that a link could be created to invoke your emulator with arbitrary OSI code?

Really cool. . .

Dave
jeffpar

Post by jeffpar »

Linking is fine. I've also written a short document/demo explaining how to embed the simulation on a web page:

http://cpusim.org/demos/c1p/embed.html

All the pages I've published so far have really been nothing more than XML files, which your browser renders as HTML, thanks to special stylesheets on my site. But that makes it a bit cumbersome for others to embed on non-XML pages.

So I've added an "embedC1P()" JavaScript interface to the simulation. You give it the ID of some HTML element (like a DIV) on your page where you want to the simulation to appear, along with the location of an XML file that defines the machine configuration (and a pointer to the magic XML stylesheet I wrote), and you're done -- much like any other JavaScript applet.

I'm happy to work on more interfaces, and support more file formats, once we have some concrete examples of what people want/need. I can also host a number of pre-built configurations that can be extended with URL parameters. Again, just need to start with some concrete examples.

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffpar

Post by jeffpar »

I wanted to see how easy it would be to insert C1P-JS into, say, a blog post. After making a few tweaks to the server to allow cross-domain requests, it's a piece of cake. Here's an example:

http://hashable.org/2012/08/introducing ... lenger-1p/