OSI reproduction project

dave
Site Admin

Re: OSI reproduction project

Post by dave »

I have processed the gerbers for the 542. This is the early keyboard used on the Challenger 2 systems. It uses the futaba MD-4PCS switches, available from Electronic Surplus.

In addition to the standard cleanup documented earlier in this thread, I also regularized the key spacing to 0.75" vertically and horizontally (for 1x keys). I regularized the spacing between 1x and 1.5x keys to 0.939". These spacings were based on multiple measurements from the scan. The spacing on the scan was close, but had up to .01" variability in either direction.

Note, that Klyball has produced a replica of the 542B, the later version of the keyboard used on C4P/C8P systems that supports a timeout on the break key, tone generator, and D/A converter. I believe the Klyball replica will be available in futaba and Cherry key flavors, both of which will work with the keycap sets I ordered.

So most people will probably want to wait for the Klyball replica. So, if you have a 542B board, you will want the Klyball replica, but if you have an older 540A or 440 board, then this is for you.

If you have a Superboard III, either keyboard will work.

The files are on GitHub.
542-front.JPG
542-front.JPG (173.96 KiB) Viewed 5149 times
542-back.JPG
542-back.JPG (167.34 KiB) Viewed 5149 times
dave
Site Admin

OSI keyboard cutout

Post by dave »

This is a DXF file of the OSI keyboard cutout.
OSI-keyboard-cutout.zip
(42.67 KiB) Downloaded 652 times