OSI reproduction project

Steve Gray

Re: OSI reproduction project

Post by Steve Gray »

dave wrote:I actually have a 582 4-slot that I plan to send for scanning along with the 502 board.

However--Grant, if you already have recreated the 582 gerbers and would be willing to make them available, that would be fantastic!

It looks like we're getting all the elements together for all kinds of OSI reproductions, from C1, C2, and C3 lines!

What we really need now is some kind of C1/C2-style case design, in wood or metal, that could be replicated by CNC and other CAM techniques. Anyone willing to come up with a concept drawing to get the ball rolling?
Are there plans to consolidate the info on these board somewhere? Perhaps a webpage with board pics, parts list, docs, etc?
What about a wanted list. Maybe others have boards they can contribute.

Steve
C4P working, C1P working. 600D Replica working, C4P+D&N floppy not working. 505 board, 610 board, Mittendorf board, TOSIE hacker board need testing, PicoDOS disk untested.
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I plan to put them all on the archive as well as Github. Probably Github first, as I'm really wanting to redo the site using more modern tools, but will have to learn about those tools. I will start moving stuff over to Github in the next week or two.

I'm still doing some tidying up of the fonts, etc. of the various scans. Updates will be merged with the Github repo as they are done.

I have imported the Gerbers to Altium PCB format, where I'm doing the tweaks, then generating new Gerbers. I would like to leave a path to fully reverse engineer the boards by making footprint libraries from the PCB files, and entering schematics to link to the PCB. Those design files will be available as well.

I realize that most folks don't have Altium, so I am considering finding a way to either
  • redo the work by importing Gerbers to Kicad PCB, then working backwards. This would be contingent on Kicad having a very accurate import facility.
  • exporting the Altium PCB files to KiCAD, then working backwards
  • do all the work in Altium, then export to Kicad. This would depend on a good export/import process from AD->KiCAD.
  • do all the work in Altium, then export to CircuitMaker. This would count on Circuitmaker being available for free forever.
Currently, my process is:
  1. Import Gerber using CAMTastic, and export to Altium PCB format. This is very accurate.
  2. remove the board outline from the copper layers and place it on a separate board outline layer.
  3. - Copper pours and polygons are scanned as rasters of hundreds of traces, greatly inflating file size and slowing processing. I replace these with normal polygon pours.
  4. Fonts are scanned as crude stroke fonts. I replace these with a closer Truetype font (Phil is working with me on this), trying to respect spacing, etc.
  5. Do a a design rule check using a rule set appropriate for OSI boards.
  6. Generate a fresh set of Gerbers, drill table, drawings, and renderings, and package together with a readme file in a single ZIP ready for fab.
Grant has indicated that he is willing to contribute at least the Gerbers for his reproductions as well.

So, we should have a large library of at least Gerbers online shortly.

Dave
glitch

Post by glitch »

I'll be contributing my Gerbers as well, of course. I'd like to build up a stock of reproduction boards and be able to offer full parts kits for them, with the bare boards available basically at-cost.
Check out The Glitch Works
OSI Challenger 3, 510 CPU, 8" floppies, 23 MB hard disk system starting to work!
Parts bin Challenger 3 board set, never had a chassis in its time
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Just processed the scans of the 502 and 582 boards as well. 3D renderings of the resulting PCBs below:

OSI_502-front.jpg
OSI_502-front.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 9460 times
OSI_502-back.jpg
OSI_502-back.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 9460 times
OSI_582-front.jpg
OSI_582-front.jpg (316.39 KiB) Viewed 9460 times
OSI_582-back.jpg
OSI_582-back.jpg (367.87 KiB) Viewed 9460 times
Also, I've gone through all the other scans and done some more font fixes (Thanks to Phil), cleaned up some solid shapes to improve performance and improve rendering accuracy, and as part of the process, restored some manufacturing marks that I originally deleted due to their processing times.

Will work on getting all the scans up soon.

Dave
glitch

Post by glitch »

Good stuff! The parts for the 560Z board have all arrived, with the 8T26s from Bulgaria being the delaying factor. Hopefully i can keep enough stock of the hard-to-get pieces to offer kits for most/all of the boards we're reproducing.
OSI Challenger 3, 510 CPU, 8" floppies, 23 MB hard disk system starting to work!
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

OK, I've put up all the design files (Altium designer) on GITHub, and have linked to the gerber packages (which also include documentation) from the hardware section of the archive. Check it out!

Dave
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Klyball's 600D and 610 boards are now up on github. I've added links to the hardware section of the archive.

Dave
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I've sent off a few more boards for scanning:

500 CPU
440 Video card
542 Keyboard
555 Jungle board
gekaufman

Post by gekaufman »

I'd be excited to see the 500 cpu board available again.
I have Martin Eberhard's 1702 Eprom Programmer, and can help folks with the monitor IC's.

- Gary
glitch

Post by glitch »

We've got a later OSI 510 CPU board to scan, too -- one that uses a 2716 instead of 1702As, which will be helpful. Need to finish documenting the mods on it and depopulate it.