OSI Reproduction Boards interest list

glitch

Re: OSI Reproduction Boards interest list

Post by glitch »

Ah, thanks for letting me know! That'll save a bit of expense :)

We sort of had our own little mini OSI event at the workshop at VCF East last weekend: got TangentDelta up with a Challenger II chassis, another hobbyist (not sure if he wants his real name published here) brought his Challenger III and we got that debugged, CommodoreZ brought his C4P, and Bill Dromgoole was there as well!

What else should we prioritize for running w.r.t. reproductions?
Check out The Glitch Works
OSI Challenger 3, 510 CPU, 8" floppies, 23 MB hard disk system starting to work!
Parts bin Challenger 3 board set, never had a chassis in its time
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

My apologies, I was wrong. I scanned a 500 board, not the 400. This is what else I scanned:

440 video card
542 keyaboard
525 dual port ram
555 "Jungle board" RAM+I/O

So far, I've processed the 542 scan and placed it on github, but still have to do the 500, 440, 525, and 555.
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

BTW, I tried using KiCad because having everything in a free (as in speech) tool is preferable. But KiCad is still too cumbersome for creating a board file from a gerber. So I'm sticking with Altium Designer for now. I think it's easier to go that way, and then later export (or import) to Kicad.
glitch

Post by glitch »

That's fine, KiCAD is definitely not the easiest thing to do Gerber editing with. I have a workflow for it, but it involves generating overlays and merging them in gerbv (from gEDA). I've used Altium for $day_job before, I can see why they charge what they charge for it!
OSI Challenger 3, 510 CPU, 8" floppies, 23 MB hard disk system starting to work!
gekaufman

Post by gekaufman »

Glitch -

Are you planning a run of the 510 board? I'd certainly be interested.

- Gary
glitch

Post by glitch »

I sure am! I got the 510 rev C fully depopulated over the weekend...it was a real bear! The one that Bill Dromgoole contributed is pretty late and had been wave soldered. Not only did I have to clear every via and unused pad, but I had to give special attention to the sockets. Apparently the solder had wicked up to the top side of the board and pooled between the shoulder of the socket pin and the end of the pad, resulting in a strong joint that the Hakko 472D wasn't able to pull out. This resulted in a few broken pads, as the sockets came right off and took the end of the pad under the strong joint. I had to pry the tops off of the sockets and remove the pins individually with pliers and a regular iron, then go back with the desoldering tool and clear the holes. But, it's done now, and should be going off for scanning this week with a few other boards!
gekaufman

Post by gekaufman »

Glitch -

Fantastic news on the 510 revC. There were a few up on Ebay, but they went for more than my programmed bids. Did pick up a 505 (with sockets only) and a bare 527.

If there was an interest I could have the 527 scanned, but I think its a waste given your far superior ram board and the cost of 2114's. I'll keep it bare in case there ever is a real interest in scanning in the future. The 527 was the first board I added to my C2-4P in the 1970's. Had to switch to an outboard 5v supply. I sold it a few years later to help afford a DRC "Big Board".

Sadly I'm way behind on actual building, work has been way too hectic...
glitch

Post by glitch »

I feel you on the "too busy" part -- in addition to preparation for VCF East, $day_job has had several failures that required short notice emergency service! I've got a few weeks to catch my breath, so I figured I better do more reproduction board work!

Don't worry about building up the 527 board, I've got one on hand. I also agree that it's probably not worth the effort to scan since we've got a modern RAM board replacement that is universal in application (does 12-bit too), low-power, and uses readily sourced components. No sense in having folks use up stocks of harder-to-get components on reproductions, when there are vintage boards that need them!
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

glitch wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:59 pm Don't worry about building up the 527 board, I've got one on hand. I also agree that it's probably not worth the effort to scan since we've got a modern RAM board replacement that is universal in application (does 12-bit too), low-power, and uses readily sourced components. No sense in having folks use up stocks of harder-to-get components on reproductions, when there are vintage boards that need them!
I have several 527 boards, but I also elected not to scan one for the same reason, and because a fully populated 527 board requires it's own power supply.
gekaufman

Post by gekaufman »

dave wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:28 pm
I have several 527 boards, but I also elected not to scan one for the same reason, and because a fully populated 527 board requires it's own power supply.
But the old surplus Acme 5V supply I was using in college kept my toes warm :)