Floppy Emulation for the C1P/C4P

w4jbm

Re: Floppy Emulation for the C1P/C4P

Post by w4jbm »

I looked at a couple of the floppy replacement solutions and tried to use one as a replacement on an older control system several years ago. (The replacement never worked, so that kind of soured me.) I could never find any that had been tried with OSI. There was one that was looking at what it would take to work with OSI, but never actually answered the question.

The two things that seemed the most challenging when I read through some of the specifications and application documents was the fact that track zero is a different format than the other tracks and the fact that sector sizes (and number of sectors per track) were not always the same from track to track under OS65D.

I suspect they would take some customer software / firmware to get running. There was one that was somewhat open (source code was available) offered by a company in Germany (I think--it has been a few years back) but they only made one run and never offered it again during the time I was watching.

A lot of that is what made me think that starting from scratch would be easier because I'd know all the details of how it was put together. But if someone knows of something they think would work, I'd be willing to give it a try. (Although I do need to pull the C4P MF out and get it going to do that.)

Jim
w4jbm

Re: Floppy Emulation for the C1P/C4P

Post by w4jbm »

An interesting article about floppy interfaces on the Hackaday mailing list...

http://hackaday.com/2017/07/21/read-ami ... n-arduino/

There is also a link to a Raspberry Pi floppy emulator project in the article.

Jim