Copying Track 0

lowrybt1

Copying Track 0

Post by lowrybt1 »

I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with V3.3's track zero R/W utility. When I load the utility and attempt to read track 0 into memory (multiple attempted locations), the system hangs on the read. So:

*CA 0200=06,4
*GO 0200
Starts the utility. When I enter the Rnnn command (ex\R4800), the system hangs. The disk from which I'm reading boots fine (so, track zero should be okay, right?).

If I can't get this utility working, are there any work-around, maybe:

1. direct calls and saves to track zero?
2. Using the V3.2 track zero\copy utility?

The machine I'm using: C8PMF (one 5.25" drive), 48K, standard ROM (not Cegmon)

Thanks, Tom
C8PDF w. 48K, 2x 520 24K RAM boards and Glitchworks 64K board
OSI 567 Telephony board
Spare 8" drives
Klyball D-13
w4jbm

Re: Copying Track 0

Post by w4jbm »

From the monitor, can you zero out the locations you are loading to, try to do the load, and then check the memory to see if anything was read (and the memory locations modified)?

I wonder if booting and copying handle loading track zero different. If the copy utility doesn't find the full 2048 bytes, it might hang.

But I would start by seeing if anything is being read. If so, I would start trying to figure out exactly how much was being read before it hangs.

I think you could copy track zero using an older utility (3.2). In fact, you can create your own track zero in memory and use the utility to write it, so I don't think it is very version specific at all.

Do you hear the disk step back from track 6 to track 0 when you start the copy?

thanks,
Jim