RTMON on a C4P-MF

Andis

RTMON on a C4P-MF

Post by Andis »

Hi All,

I have been doing a "burn in" on my new PSU and cleaned up C4P-MF (about 9 hours now, looks good, YEA!), but I am curious, is the Real Time Monitor (RTMON) an option or 'standard equipment' so to speak? I decided to code in a count down timer (page 99 of my manual) and it doesn't seem that my RTMON is working. I did add a line of code to poke 222,1 (from what I recall) to the example to enable the timer, which wasn't in the code, as opposed to POKEing 223 which is supposed to start and stop the RTMON.

Am I missing anything? The clock example on the prior page also doesn't do anything.

If you are curious about what I did to my C4P, see: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=341

Thanks, Andy

p.s. I know the following info is late, but I just saw someone is selling a partially working C4P-MF on e-Bay. There's about 3 hours left. I just noticed it now as I usually check to see if anybody is selling a C4P system whenever I log onto this Board. I personally I haven't seen a sale price on a C4P-MF system since 2015, when the price was something outrageous ($1200 ?). I'm curious to see what this auction ending price will be. Here's the link to the eBay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohio-Scientifi ... SwyttZ3RO-. I'll post in the Auction Section also. Even if no one from the board buys it, at least we'll have a price reference for a while.
C4P-MF, 540 RevB-1/542, 527 w/12K, 527-RevA w/24K, 505-RevB
dave
Site Admin

Re: RTMON on a C4P-MF

Post by dave »

I had not heard of it before. Are you running OS65U?

From the OS65U manual, it seems that OS65U came in three flavors:
  • Level I: single user, like OS65D or CP/M
  • Level II: Mult-terminal, but not multitasking. This is where RTMON is used. It implements a software real-time clock, and provides buffering and interrupt-driven I/O for up to 16 terminals, all interacting with (as far as I can tell) a single task.
  • Level II: Requires multiple banks of memory, with hardware bank switching, managed by a 4K executive to provide multitasking and timesharing for 16 terminals, in which each may run their own separate software (task). One task per terminal.
It seems like RTMON would come with OS65U level II. Since I never had much exposure to OS65U, I could not say whether a Level II version is archived here or on Mark's site, but if you find it, you'll need to enable hardware interrupts for a timer and for serial ports to make it work.

Cheers,

Dave
Andis

Post by Andis »

Hi, Dave.

No, I'm running OSD65D V3.2 nMHZ.

I had to read through my manual some ("Preliminary Oct 1979" is all that is on the Title Page) to find what OS version the manual was written for. The OS mentioned in the manual (on page 40 of all places) is OSD65D V3.1.

Thanks, Andy
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Do you have a link to the manual?

BTW, I just realized I still need to do OCR on a number of manuals in the archive.

Dave
Andis

Post by Andis »

Dave, I'll have to check to see if my version is online. If not, I'll scan it in.

I got some unexpected news and I am going to have to sell my C4P-MF (unless a miracle occurs, which I am really hoping for). If there was any way around having to do so, I wouldn't. I'll check If there is anything else that should be scanned in. I got a pretty good set of photos of some of the less common boards posted already in my 'project post', so scanning docs that you may not have would be my priority.

Thanks
Andis

Post by Andis »

Do you have a link to the manual?
The code I was trying in my manual (p 99) is on page 69 of this manual: http://osiweb.org/manuals/c4man.pdf

I noticed they changed line 80 (my manual))

Code: Select all

80 TEST = PEEK(223)
to

Code: Select all

80 TEST = PEEK(224) + PEEK(225) + PEEK(226)
which makes a lot more sense. Those are the locations for hours, minutes, seconds remaining. 223 sets the state of the Timer, I just assumed that when the h, m, and s all went to zero , the timer stopped itself (e.g. PEEK (223) went to 0).

I'll have to code the short program in again, didn't have room to save it. I still think will be No Joy though, because I PEEKed 224, 225, 226 on every loop and printed them out. The PEEKed values were not changing.

I looked at my I/O board photos, and noticed a 16 pin socket that is unpopulated. Wonder if that is the issue. Will dig a little further...