New OSI key cap sets on order

glitch

Re: New OSI key cap sets on order

Post by glitch »

Excellent news! I ought to throw together a little PIC-based OSI -> parallel ASCII converter, I have a bunch of systems that want parallel ASCII keyboards and only one keyboard to go between them.
Check out The Glitch Works
OSI Challenger 3, 510 CPU, 8" floppies, 23 MB hard disk system starting to work!
Parts bin Challenger 3 board set, never had a chassis in its time
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

glitch wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:43 pm Excellent news! I ought to throw together a little PIC-based OSI -> parallel ASCII converter, I have a bunch of systems that want parallel ASCII keyboards and only one keyboard to go between them.
Nice thinking. I already planned on doing this, but if you do it first, even better.

That's why I ordered the extra keys. In addition to making the 542 gerbers available, I also plan to create a universal keyboard PCB that can be used to recreate an OSI keyboard, and Apple II ASCII keyboard, or an "ADM-3A inspired" generic ASCII keyboard. It turns out that the OSI and Apple II keyboards layouts (and cutouts) are almost identical--the only differences are the BREAK key on the OSI keyboard, and the power light on the Apple Keyboard.

The ADM-3A layout would be nearly identical, plus the extra keys I ordered. The only issue preventing it from being fully the same is that the ADM-3A has a wider RETURN key than the OSI and Apple (2x vs 1.5x). I didn't order key caps to exactly replicate the ADM-3A. I left out HERE-IS and CLEAR, or HJKL keys with arrows. I also didn't order anything with an underscore on it. But, anyone can fix it up however they like.

My plan is, for Phase 1, while waiting for the scan to come in and for a keyboard to be made, to create an add-on encoder.

For Phase 2, I plan to
  • reduce the height of the board by cleaning up the OSI interface
  • convert the original OSI key footprints to Cherry MX footprints
  • add the extra keys and power light to the PCB
  • add diodes in series with each key (could be jumpered if N-key rollover is not desired)
  • add the PIC right on the board, so that an ASCII keyboard (Apple or generic) would require only the PIC chip, without the OSI interface.
  • Since there's no ASCII BREAK, the BREAK key would be optionally wired into the matrix (and also optionally replaced with another keycap), or wired to a separate output, which could also be driven by the PIC. That way, BREAK could be used for system reset, generate an actual BREAK from a terminal, etc. The PIC could optionally add safety features like requiring a double tap or a long keypress.
Of course, the Apple II key caps are a different color, and are aligned at the bottom of the key rather than the center, with some different symbols on top, so a true replica would need a whole different key cap set. But for Apple I clones, for example, the OSI key cap set would be just fine, with any of the layouts.

My planned layout for the generic ASCII keyboard is:
  • place the {[, }], and ~^ keys as on the ADM 3A, to the right of =-
  • place the '@ and |\ keys as on the ADM 3A, to the right of +;
  • keep break where it is, which would be to the right of |\
  • place repeat as on the 3A, to the right of the right SHIFT.
  • place RUBOUT to the right of REPEAT, where CLEAR is on the 3A
  • place CAPS LOCK to the right of RETURN, in place of HERE IS
  • place the 1.5x wide TAB to the left of CTRL
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Would the ASCII version be something that can be used on an Apple I ?

/Jeff
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Jeff wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:14 pm Would the ASCII version be something that can be used on an Apple I ?

/Jeff
Absolutely. That is one motivation. And the ASCII version will accommodate any of the layouts.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Hi Dave, how is the keycaps order coming? Do you have an ETA?

/Jeff
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I had to dig up some correspondence. The estimated ship date is Nov 12 by USPS priority mail, so I should have the keys by Nov 14.

I have 20 sets, which include not only the OSI keys, but a few extra keys, similar to the ADM-3A keyset. It would have been a few bucks cheaper without the extra keys, but I want to be able to make a universal keyboard that can be configured for OSI, Apple I/II, and a generic full ASCII keyboard, and wanted keys to match.

I would like to make the next batch of keycaps light gray, like the early OSI keyboards.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for the update. Light grey sounds COOL!!

/Jeff
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

I just got the keys in today. They are black, and have a few extra keys, to flesh out an ADM-3A style keyboard.

The key sets cost me $50 each. With paypal fees and USPS priority shipping (small flat rate box), it's almost exactly $60 within the continental US. If you're outside, just let me know ahead of time, and I'll calculate shipping. The small flat rate box will accommodate one set. For more than one set, I'd use a medium flat rate box, for about $5 more. The medium box should hold several sets.

If anyone is interested in some keys, just PM me.

Dave

**EDIT with more shipping price info ** (continental US). I only want to break even after paypal fees.
1 set, USPS priority small flat rate box : $60
2 sets, USPS priority medium flat rate box: $120
3+ sets, USPS priority medium flat rate box: $53/set + $15 shipping.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks Dave,

I received my keycaps a few days ago.

Cheers
/Jeff
waltermixxx

Post by waltermixxx »

Hi there are these key caps still available? I'm hoping to put together an OSI 600 Rev D
which i think uses cherry keys... are these the key caps for those keys?
if so is it possible to order a set? (Possibly 2 if Steve Gray wants one) Steve and I are both
looking to build a 600 REV D replica board... :)

Please advise. :)
Turning into quite an OSI Junkie (HTFDTH?) Superboard II REV B-40K, 9600b, HC-05 Bluetooth, Superboard II Rev D, C4P rebuild- 502, 542c, 540B. :)