New OSI key cap sets on order

dave
Site Admin

New OSI key cap sets on order

Post by dave »

Hi all,

In case anyone is looking for OSI keycaps, I just ordered 20 sets from Signature Plastics, based on Grant's original keyset order.

This order is for black keycaps with white letters, to match the 600/C1, C4, and C8. My original C2-4P had light gray keys with white letters, and I plan to place another order with that color eventually, but will wait a while. The lead time is 12 weeks, though so I won't have the keys until late November or early December. Selling them at cost, the total price works out to almost exactly $50/set.

The font on the keycaps is not exactly the same as the OSI key font, but looks great, and is timeless (See Grant's keys). Exact match would cost $50 per key--not willing to go that far, and back in the day, I would not have cared about the font and neither would anyone at OSI--Mike Cheiky was a different type of personality from Steve Jobs.

The specs:

Manufacturer: Signature Plastics
Key type: Cherry MX, SA profile, double shot molded
Color: Black with white letters
Font: Gorton Modified Font
Keys per set: 60 (Standard OSI keys, plus the following extra keys, resulting in a key set similar to the ADM/3A, for future projects:
  • Tilde / Caret: ~ ^
  • (curly bracket / square bracket LEFT: { [
  • curly bracket / square bracket RIGHT: } ]
  • vertical bar / backslash: | \
  • single quote / at symbol: ' @
  • TAB (same width as shift)
  • CAPS LOCK (same size as SHIFT LOCK)
I'll follow up when I have the sets.

Cheers,

Dave
gekaufman

Re: New OSI key cap sets on order

Post by gekaufman »

Wow, fantastic!

That's a big outlay, would you like orders/payment up front?

I'd like two sets if possible!

- Gary
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Fantastic News!!!

I will be needing a few sets also (3)?

/Jeff
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Better just wait until I have the keys caps, to make sure that everything went as expected. No need for limits on orders. There should be plenty to go around. When I start to get low, I'll place another order.

Would there be any interest in any gray/white sets, or everyone wants black? I definitely want some gray keys, and there's a substantial price break between at 20 sets.
multivac

Post by multivac »

Dave

Would the keycaps in question be suitable for cherry MX and hence Klyball's 542c_new keyboard PCB?
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Yes, they are for Cherry MX keys, but also will fit on the original OSI key switches.

I'm also sending of a depopulated OSI 542 keyboard for scanning, and will prepare a derivative using Cherry MX keys as well. I'm also sending off an OSI 500 board and a 440 board, so anyone wishing to reproduce a more vintage system will have options.

Regards,

Dave
froso

Post by froso »

Hi, If could be possible, I will need two osi cap sets. Please, tell me details about payment and so on. You can send me a PM or just post it in this topic.

I live in Spain, but I think there will not be any problem with it.

Thanks for all

Jacobo
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

No problem. I'll post here when I have the key caps. Until then, I don't want to take any payments. However, anyone is welcome to express interest in this thread. If the number gets close to 20, I'll go ahead and place another order. Also, specifiy black or gray (right now only black is on order.)
froso

Post by froso »

Hi

Black is OK
froso

Post by froso »

Hi again, one question: is the space bar x8 in size?