OSI + Gotek (youtube video)

davisgw

Re: OSI + Gotek (youtube video)

Post by davisgw »

Mark,
I changed my FF.CFG file to reflect what you suggest including turning off index mode and not setting the prefix of "DSKA" for each image. I renamed all the images to unique names. Then I added the HEXDOS image you provided and also the one I have along with one Dos/65 image. All images are 1041K, of which six are copies of the same OS65D image. All six OS65D images boot correctly with the same series of numerical values on the display while booting. The 2 HEXDOS images and one Dos/65 image do not boot either with the native ROM boot or the Dos/65 boot loader in ROM and there is not a readable series of values on the display, rather one or two segments like "_" or "=". Unless these 3 images need to be on individual flash drives and/or require changes to the FF.CFG file I have no other ideas.
I've attached the .zip file of all three images. Let me know there is anything else you need. Thanks.
Attachments
HFEimages.zip
(136.67 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
bxdanny

Post by bxdanny »

Hi Glen,

I'm curious to see if an image of my "Enhanced Pico-Dos" will boot on the Gotek. I expect it will, since it is internally just a modified OS-65D, but I'd appreciate it if you try it.

The version i am attaching has some minor changes from the last version i posted in the "Enhanced Pico-Dos" thread, but they are quite minor, and I hesitate to post it there after saying that the last version there was definitively the final version. [Yeah, I know, so I'm posting it here instead.] The main change is the addition of OSI''s disk-to-disk copier on Track 39, formatted so that it can be run with E-P's XQ command. To use the copier, boot the attached disk image, then [assuming it boots successfully] type LOAD 0 (the E-P equivalent of EXIT) followed by XQ 39.

I'm not sure if you need to rename it to have a .hfe extension or not. I gave it an extension of "dotx" because, well, it had to be one of the extensions this board supports, and since it's not a ,zip or .txt or any of the other listed things, it's ".x", a file of "unknown" type, so "dotx" kind of fits. Kind of.
Attachments
ep39.dotx
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 115 times
No current OSI hardware
Former programmer for Dwo Quong Fok Lok Sow and Orion Software Associates
Former owner of C1P MF (original version) and C2-8P DF (502-based)
davisgw

Post by davisgw »

Hi Danny,
Another successful test! I removed my version of HEXDOS from the flash drive and added your "Enhanced Pico-Dos" image and also OS65D3.3 disk 2. All of the OS65D images boot perfectly, including the "Enhanced Pico-Dos", and your copier addition appears to load and run, though I have nothing to copy to since the 600D is connected only to the GOTEK. But the HEXDOS and Dos/65 images do not boot and as I said there are no series of numerical values on the display while attempting to boot.
Then to added to the fun I downloaded a WP6502 disk with the 48x14 video mods installed and added the image to the flash drive. That also boots perfectly on the 600D.
Mark,
So this makes me think there is a bug in OSIHFE converting HEXDOS and Dos/65 images to HFE files. Does the lack of numerical values on the display while booting an image provide a clue? By the way I have flashfloppy-at415-st105-3.38 installed on the GOTEK.
bxdanny

Post by bxdanny »

davisgw,

Thanks Glen for trying that. I wonder if it would be possible to hook up both the Gotek and the physical floppy drive as a dual-drive combination. Is it just lack of the right cable that prevents that?

FWIW, all three of your images do boot and run under WinOSI (the DOS/65 one by using your custom boot ROM image). Maybe you knew that. Why they won't work on the Gotek hardware, while 65D-based images do, I can't even guess. Have you tried images created using Mark's "Boot This" program?
No current OSI hardware
davisgw

Post by davisgw »

bxdanny,
I've tried everything to get the Gotek to play nice with my floppy drive. With 2 floppy drives it boots correctly from drive A and will copy to/from drive B. With only the Gotek attached as drive A it boots and runs correctly. But with floppy and the Gotek on the same cable they appear to both be selected at the same time so it will not boot. I've tried all combinations of jumpers and even tried using a IBMPC cable with the twist for one drive. So far nothing has worked. What jumpers did "nama" select on the Gotek? Did "nama" change anything or modify one drive to allow them to work together on the same cable? The only thing that has allowed the Gotek to boot with the floppy drive attached is if neither DS0 or DS1 is jumpered on the floppy drive.
Also, I tried updating the Gotek from 3.38 to 4.6a firmware and that has not allowed boot of Hexdos or Dos/65. I'm stumped.

I cannot see what creating a image using "Boot This" will tell me....doesn't it create a OS65D image?

Do you know if "nama" or anyone has tried booting a hexdos or Dos/65 image with the Gotek?
davisgw

Post by davisgw »

bxdanny,
I just reread the "Boot This" description and decided to try booting the Disktool5 image. It booted once but never again in about a dozen attempts. Not sure what that tells us though.....
bxdanny

Post by bxdanny »

davisgw,

I really don't know the answers to your questions. I don't know "nama" or what he did, but perhaps he will see this and answer, or you could ask him directly.

I think Mark once said that the images created by "Boot This" are not actually in 65D format, but I'm not entirely certain, and I haven't actually tried it.

I see that all the .hfe images are the same size (1,065,984 bytes), so I don['t think the issue there has to do with extending or not extending files. But that value is not a multiple of 40, so I guess the files include some kind of header that is not a part of any of the track images, and I wonder if that is where the problem with the Hexdos and Dos/65 images lies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was about to post the above but was notified that you had replied again.

Does the Disktool5 image light up the Gotek display the way the working 65D images do? I think you said that the images that wouldn't boot at all also didn't show info on the Gotek display that the working images do, is that right?
No current OSI hardware
davisgw

Post by davisgw »

bxdanny,
I tried the FF.CFG setting extend-image to both "yes" and "no" with no effect on what images would or would not boot. And I tried setting the P2 and P34 to "nc" but saw no difference when the floppy is also connected. I also updated firmware to 4.7a from 4.6a.
The Disktool5 image results in a progression of perhaps 5 values in the display, but that's about half what I see with an image that boots. I see no progression at all for the hexdos and Dos65 images.
I feel like I'm whipping a dead horse.....
bxdanny

Post by bxdanny »

davisgw,

I took a look at the headers of the .hfe files with a hex editor. All three of your non-working ones begin with the same 20 bytes, and both working ones I have (my ep39 and the copy of Tutorial Disk 5) have the same 20 bytes as each other, but the two headers differ at three bytes. So I changed those three bytes in your "bad" .hfe files to match the "good" ones. Specifically, the bytes at offsets $0C through $0E were changed from F4 01 68 to FA 00 2C. I have no idea what these bytes may mean, I just changed the non-working files to match the working ones. Let me know if this fixes things.

As for the FF.CFG file, the only other setting I thought might just possibly affect things would be setting index-suppression to no, but that seems unlikely. It's probably best left at yes, but you could try changing it if these modified files still don't work.

A .zip file with the modified files is attached (nhd standing for "new header").
Attachments
HFEnhdimages.zip
(215 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
No current OSI hardware
davisgw

Post by davisgw »

bxdanny,
It looks like you are on the right track. Both hexdos images boot. One displays a menu of programs to run and I tried one and it does run. The other one boots with the standard BASIC prompt but when I type "LOAD/" it tries to load the directory and hangs. The Dos/65 image does not boot. I tried all the images with "extend-image" both yes and no with no difference. I forgot to try changing "index-suppression " but I doubt that would fix the Dos/65 image.
So I guess you confirmed the headers are wrong but maybe you missed something or your changes were not what is needed. But great job!
Now what?