OSI + Gotek (youtube video)

geowar1

Re: OSI + Gotek (youtube video)

Post by geowar1 »

What do you have in your .CFG files? Can you post them (or their text) here?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

This is the one I use for an C1P and Gotek flash update version 4.7a
Attachments
CFG.zip
(204.67 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
davisgw

Post by davisgw »

Is there any reason I cannot use a Gotek floppy emulator with the standard OSI 610 hardware and 5.25 inch floppy on a C1P? I don't know if the Klyball D-13 is functionally different from the 610 floppy interface. Some of the other Gotek postings emulate a 3.5 inch 720K drive, which I have no
interest in. I have a Gotek ordered and want to be sure it will do what I want. Thanks.
geowar1

Post by geowar1 »

Looking at the schematics for the 610 and 505 boards it looks like J3 signals are all the same… So I assume so. ;-)
davisgw

Post by davisgw »

I have my Gotek and got it successfully programmed with flashfloppy-at415-st105-3.38.hex. And I formatted a flashdrive with FAT32 and loaded the FF.CFG file recommended for C1P 5.25 drive emulation. I don't yet have the necessary flat cable to connect to the C1P but when I power the Gotek with the flashdrive plugged in I get "E34" on the LED display. Then I added a file named DSKA0000.HFE (not an actual converted image) and the LED display says "E31", with a file named "IMAGE_A.CFG" is added to the flash drive. Both errors seem correct. So now I have several questions:
1) Once I load vaild images on the flashdrive will the display index to each image numbered "000-00X" without the ribbon cable attached?
2) Does the "IMAGE_A.CFG" file need to remain on the flashdrive once images are added?
3) The posted FF.CFG file contains a line "da-report-version = "V47". Does that need to match the programmed firmware version?
4) Could someone post a valid HFE image I can copy to the flashdrive to verify it's ready to load?
5) Also can I make multiple copies of the HFE file numbered "DSKA0000.HFE" thru "DSKA000X.HFE" and load over them once the Gotek is connected to a OSI?
davisgw

Post by davisgw »

Nama,
Please help with the questions below.
Nobody posted an HFE image file so I used the OSIHFE tool to create a file from one of the OS65D images I have for V3.3 disk 5. It did not like the input options I tried so I input just the image file name and it was happy. So I added 3 copies of the resulting HFE file to the flashdrive and the Gotek now seems happy and appears to index to each of the images.
Now I only have 3 unanswered questions:
1) The posted FF.CFG file contains a line "da-report-version = "V47". Does that need to match the programmed firmware version?
2) With a image file of type .65D input to OSIHFE with no other options will the output HFE file be bootable for 5.25 inch drive?
3) Can I load over any of the images from a floppy once the Gotek is connected to a OSI as a second drive?

Mark,
When I click on the direct link you posted to download the OSIHFE tool Firefox refuses to download it for security concerns? Fortunately I already have it on my PC. Can you verify the attached HFE file please (I renamed it to a .zip to allow a post)?
Attachments
C1P-OS65D_3.3_Tutorial5.zip
It's actually a HFE file, not a zip file
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 188 times
davisgw

Post by davisgw »

Mark,
How does OSIHFE recognize the input file type? For a HEXDOS image I used the command 'OSIHFE -iHEXDOS HEXDOS.65D' and got the error message 'unknown argument: ihexdos'. The same happens for a Dos/65 image. So what is the purpose of the '-i' argument and why is is not known to OSIHFE?
Does OSIHFE look at the contents of the input file and generate the correct output file or does it require a specific file type like .65D for OS65D images?
Please explain.
bxdanny

Post by bxdanny »

It determines the file type (disk image type) by looking at the contents, and I guess the file size. The -i option is for IT to tell YOU what the file type is, not the other way around. For example, if you entered\

osihfe -i hexdos.65d

it would respond with

File type HEXDOS

Hope this helps.
No current OSI hardware
Former programmer for Dwo Quong Fok Lok Sow and Orion Software Associates
Former owner of C1P MF (original version) and C2-8P DF (502-based)
davisgw

Post by davisgw »

I have partial success! My GOTEK boots an OS65D image on my 600D board, but I have some problems that might be in my FF.CFG.
1) When I have 6 OS65D images named DSKA0000 thru DSKA0005 I cannot select DSKA0005.
2) I cannot boot from either a HEXDOS image or a DOS/65 image. They appear to be selected but neither will boot. OSIHFE correctly identifies each of the images.
Attached is the FF.CFG file. Can anyone suggest what is the problem? Thanks.
Attachments
FF.txt
(9.91 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Mark

Post by Mark »

Mark,
How does OSIHFE recognize the input file type? For a HEXDOS image I used the command 'OSIHFE -iHEXDOS HEXDOS.65D' and got the error message 'unknown argument: ihexdos'. The same happens for a Dos/65 image. So what is the purpose of the '-i' argument and why is is not known to OSIHFE?
Does OSIHFE look at the contents of the input file and generate the correct output file or does it require a specific file type like .65D for OS65D images?
Please explain.
Hi,
As bxdanny stated, the -i parameter is used to identify a disk image. The reason for the error above is the file arguments <infile> or <outfile> are standalone and need spaces after any other parameter. (Filenames with spaces must be wrapped in quotes e.g. "My Fancy File.65d".) So osihfe -i testfile.65d will identify testfile.65d, but OSIHFE -itestfile.65d will give you an error.

OSIHFE identifies files by their size and content. Supplying an SCP file as input such as "test1.scp" will generate an HFE file "test1.hfe" as output when no outfile parameter is given. Likewise, supplying an hfe file as input will generate a ".65D" file as output by default, and the opposite is true as well. However you can specify a target filename with extension and OSIHFE will use that target type. So you can go from SCP to 65D in 1 step with OSIHFE test1.scp myfile.65d (SCP file can only be read by OSIHFE, not created.)

My FF.CFG has two lines:
interface=shugart
index-suppression=no

I believe the HFE files generated by OSIHFE contain all the information FlashFloppy needs to emulate the drive.

You can use any filename with FlashFloppy. They don't HAVE to be named DSKA000 (I use a variety of descriptive names).

You can generate blank disks in OSIHFE for FlashFloppy using "OSIHFE -b65d5 blank1.hfe"

Have you checked the file size of DSKA0005? Perhaps it's a 65D raw dump? A HFE file should be about 1MB in size. Non HFE files are ignored by FlashFloppy for the most part.

When trying to boot DOS/65, do you use the DOS/65 boot loader disk? Normal DOS/65 disks are not natively bootable by the OSI.

Attached you can find a hexdos HFE file built from a file Danny posted earlier
Attachments
hexdos4.hfe.zip
Hexdos4 C1P HFE
(15.59 KiB) Downloaded 179 times