My side project

dave
Site Admin

My side project

Post by dave »

I've been working on some plywood case designs, hoping to come up with some reproducible cases that can be reconfigured for various computers. This is a Superboard 2 prototype. It's still rough and unfinished. The idea is to be able to open up the case by lifting off the top, and be able to access everything, without having to turn the case upside down, etc.

This is a work in progress, almost ready to sand, prime and paint (Gloss Sail Blue).
Attachments
angle-front.jpg
angle-front.jpg (246.69 KiB) Viewed 8388 times
back.jpg
back.jpg (220.86 KiB) Viewed 8388 times
front-monitor.jpg
front-monitor.jpg (112.33 KiB) Viewed 8388 times
sb2-angle.jpg
sb2-angle.jpg (168.93 KiB) Viewed 8388 times
controller-card.jpg
controller-card.jpg (363.55 KiB) Viewed 8388 times
nama

Re: My side project

Post by nama »

That looks fantastic...I want!!!

2P (1mhz 32k) - 502 + 8k + CEGMON + garbage collector fix BASIC, D&N MEM-CM9 + 24k, 540 (mono) [SOLD]
4PMF (2mhz 24k) - 505, 540, 527, D13 + 5.25" + Gotek
Superboard RevD - CEGMON + 610 board 24k + D13
Spares - 3 x 527, 1 x 505, Backplane
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Thanks! I'm still refining the design files, and will post them when they are ready.

Right now I'm designing directly in vCarve, which can export to DXF. I'd like to port it all to SolidWorks, or another 3D design program.

The goal is to have a series of reproducible case designs than can be easily adapted to a variety of computers by making simple changes to the design files. All of the cases will aim to present the computer beautifully when the lid is removed, and allow working on the computer boards without much disassembly or flipping the case upside down. (i.e., nothing screwed to the top).

This one is the "wedge". It can be adapted for the Apple 1, Superboard 2, and other single board machines. The height and slope are a compromise between keeping the keyboard low, with small angle, and fitting power supply components in the back. The width can be varied (for example, 15" for OSI, 18" for apple 1), and different keyboard cutouts can be dropped in place.

The wedge requires some of the pieces be cut a little bit larger than the final size, in order to make everything fit once the front once the front and back pieces have been hand-finished to the correct angles. The more square slab-like designs can be cut more precisely, and require less manual woodwork, aside from gluing and finishing.

The wedge also requires some way to stack the monitor over the keyboard, since the top is sloped. Personally, I'd rather not place a monitor on the finished surface. But, the options are to use a riser (like in the picture) or to create a "reverse wedge" monitor stand.

I will also have a simple thin slab design suitable for computers with an external or low profile power supply, and a "stairstep" with flat low keyboard, for C2-4P and similar computers.
gekaufman

Post by gekaufman »

Wow!
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

These have been slow going. I am trying to learn a bit about wood working, as well as CNC. A fellow from the local Makerspace has been teaching me as I go, using this project as the vehicle. I only have a few hours every other week to work on this.

The next variation of the "wedge" will be a walnut apple 1 case with a cutout in the center to show off the Apple 1 (Mimeo 1) board, inspired by a case posted on Applefritter a while back.