Challenger Case Plans?

Dingbat

Challenger Case Plans?

Post by Dingbat »

(First post, may have originally put this in the wrong forum)

Surfing the net I see lots of pictures of Superboards housed in home made cases. What's interesting is how many closely resemble the official Challenger cases sold by OSI. Is this a coincidence, a lot of home users deciding to build something that resemble the official product, or did OSI or some other source publish a set of plans for building a Challenger style case?

So far my Google-fu hasn't pulled up a set of drawings for a case, does something like this exist?

DB
dave
Site Admin

Re: Challenger Case Plans?

Post by dave »

Welcome to the forum.

I am not aware of any plans for a metal case like the C1/C2-4P/C4P machines. I have seen several cases with similar design, not only housing OSI machines, but also other computers, especially single-board computers. Anyone with access to a metal brake could fairly easily bend a similar case.

I would love to see a plan for a metal case.

I do have a design for a wood case for the C1P, and some variants of that design for the Appple 1, either of which can also be used for other SBC's. Those are more wedge-shaped. You can see an unfinished version here.

PM me if you want the vcarve or DXF file.

Dave
mediasponge

Post by mediasponge »

I have a C2 OEM in the metal case. The hard part in reproducing such a case will be the ventilation slots in the top. There are a LOT of them. The sides have 3 rows of 28, and the top has 7 rows. The base has its own issues as far as making a reproduction goes. It would be a project.
bbarnt

Post by bbarnt »

With laser cut metal, building a replica 4-slot or 8-slot chassis or case should not be impossible or too costly.

Can someone with original systems measure their cases and post the dimensions?

I did find the overall dimensions for a C-100 case (aka C4P):

Physical Dimensions: 4-3/4" H x 18.0 " D x 16-1/8" W
Drive Enclosure: 9.0" H x 10-1/2" D x 14-1/4" W

Brian B.