Integrating floppy disk controller from Tindie into C1P

stm

Integrating floppy disk controller from Tindie into C1P

Post by stm »

I now bought myself the following controller board from Tindie:

Floppy Disk IF PCB for OSI Superboard, UK101

Floppy Disk IF PCB for OSI Superboard, UK101

I'm currently busy with soldering the board and with producing a custom cable with Dupont crimp connectors to connect the controller board to the C1P board.

Now I'm thinking about how to integrate the board into the C1P case. I noticed four unused screws next to the power supply that could be useful for fitting the controller board.

I have attached two photos of the open C1P case.

The first photo shows the open case with the four screws marked with red circles:
Open case with screws marked
Open case with screws marked
PXL_20220904_101955700.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 1470 times
The second photo shows how I placed the controller board between the four screws:
Open case with controller board
Open case with controller board
PXL_20220904_101913338.jpg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 1470 times
It would fit nicely into that place, maybe attached with some 3D printed board holders.

I also have bought the following floppy simulator with an OpenFlops board that I intend to use with the controller:

SIMFDD35 Kit
OpenFlops USB Floppy Disk Drive Emulator

Some questions:
  • Does anybody already have experience with integrating this board into a C1P case and with using it, maybe even in combination with an OpenFlops board?
  • Is it a good idea to attach the controller board in that space, or might it be problematic because it is next to the power supply? The power supply is a new one, as the old was starting to crumble.
  • And finally just out of curiosity: What was the original purpose of these four screws?
Thanks
Stephan
C1P Model 600 CPU 1978 REV B, 40K (8K original and 32K BillO memory expansion), RS-232
Maintainer of cc65 OSI target and llvm-mos-sdk C1P target
NavAir

Re: Integrating floppy disk controller from Tindie into C1P

Post by NavAir »

Stephan:

Can't answer your first question - I have no experience
You might consider mounting the board under the 600 board - there is ample room.

The four screws are to mount a second power supply. One supply doesn't provide enough current for a 600 board plus a fully populated 610 memory board. Photo below is my Challenger showing the two supplies:
IMG_5861.jpg
IMG_5861.jpg (247.26 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
Steve
stm

Re: Integrating floppy disk controller from Tindie into C1P

Post by stm »

NavAir wrote:You might consider mounting the board under the 600 board - there is ample room.
Right, there is a lot of space, but I would not know how to attach the small new controller board to the 600 board. The arrangement of the four screws in the case is similar to the size of the new controller board, so I hope that this would make it easy to attach some kind of fitting to them.
NavAir wrote:The four screws are to mount a second power supply.
Thanks for the photo and for identifying the second power supply.
C1P Model 600 CPU 1978 REV B, 40K (8K original and 32K BillO memory expansion), RS-232
Maintainer of cc65 OSI target and llvm-mos-sdk C1P target