OSI CD-23 Progress

glitch

OSI CD-23 Progress

Post by glitch »

I don't think I ever posted it here, but a bunch of us got together at System Source last summer to see if we could get my CD-23 disk system up and going. That's written up here:

https://users.glitchwrks.com/~glitch/20 ... -23-part-1

At the end of that workshop, we'd given everything a general cleaning, spun up the disk, found a failed motor start relay, fixed several faults on the Shugart SA-4008 drive itself, found some various issues in cabling and whatnot, and were having issues actually getting data off the drive and into the OSI. Mark Spankus had given Crawford a customized C3DUMP that he was pretty sure would talk to the CD-23, and it seemed to be seeking the drive, but not pulling data off.

This past weekend, we got together again at System Source to try and nail down remaining issues and get data off the drive. I cleaned the 590 and 594 boards at the shop, after the previous attempt, and found several chips that left their legs in sockets (8-10 chips IIRC). We were hoping that was most of the issue, since we'd been chasing intermittent faults on the 590 board.

Everything still worked, or appeared to. My 525 dual-port RAM board failed in the middle of troubleshooting! Bill Dromgoole had a spare that he gave me, which passed the OSI memory test, and that got us actually reading real data! We read the first few blocks twice and compared, and they were the same. We also checked that the blocks were actually different, and not just the same garbage coming off. The C3DUMP program still spits out a HD ERROR #8 but we're not sure if that's a real error or just an artifact of having not been tested on a real CD-23 system until now. The machine still doesn't boot, but that may also be a ROM issue -- I changed ROMs during the troubleshooting of the 510C board in the system.

We're 100% sure that some real data is coming off, as we converted the 2 MB or so we were able to recover in the available time to binary, then ran `strings` on it, and found some obvious FORTH source code, OS messages, etc. There's no way random data coming off the drive would've looked like valid FORTH code -- Perl, maybe :P
Check out The Glitch Works
OSI Challenger 3, 510 CPU, 8" floppies, 23 MB hard disk system starting to work!
Parts bin Challenger 3 board set, never had a chassis in its time
dave
Site Admin

Re: OSI CD-23 Progress

Post by dave »

That's awesome work! I doubt there are many, if any, OSI hard disk systems running now, especially with the original hard drives. I would love to follow the progress.
glitch

Post by glitch »

I'll try and be more diligent about posting updates about it!
OSI Challenger 3, 510 CPU, 8" floppies, 23 MB hard disk system starting to work!
bxdanny

Post by bxdanny »

FWIW (if anything), the very first disk image, labeled OS65U_V1.2.65u, on Mark's list of 8 Inch Floppy Disk Images (at http://marks-lab.com/osi/software/osios8.html) contains CD-23 system code, even though I think he once said he didn't have any such. So possibly, the contents of that could be helpful in trying to read the data from the CD-23.

Anyway, good luck with that project.
No current OSI hardware
Former programmer for Dwo Quong Fok Lok Sow and Orion Software Associates
Former owner of C1P MF (original version) and C2-8P DF (502-based)
glitch

Post by glitch »

Thanks for the link! I also found a 1998 usenet post from Bill Sudbrink saying he had a version that explicitly stated it was CD-23 compatible, so I should probably reach out to him about that as well.
glitch

Post by glitch »

Finally finished the Part 2 writeup of our progress at the January 2024 System Source workshop:

http://users.glitchwrks.com/~glitch/202 ... -23-part-2

If I have kit stuff for VCF East under control, I'll be taking the CD-23 to the next System Source workshop at the end of March.