BASIC audio files for testing

bxdanny

Re: BASIC audio files for testing

Post by bxdanny »

When I put the the previous ROM back in I noticed that it doesn't seem to matter whether I pull A10 high or low. Does that make sense?
Yes, because i deliberately made that ROM with the two 1 kB halves the same, so that it would work for you regardless of the problems you were having with the addressing of that ROM.
No current OSI hardware
Former programmer for Dwo Quong Fok Lok Sow and Orion Software Associates
Former owner of C1P MF (original version) and C2-8P DF (502-based)
Sideburn

Post by Sideburn »

bxdanny wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:59 am
When I put the the previous ROM back in I noticed that it doesn't seem to matter whether I pull A10 high or low. Does that make sense?
Yes, because i deliberately made that ROM with the two 1 kB halves the same, so that it would work for you regardless of the problems you were having with the addressing of that ROM.
Ahh, right I remember that now. SO the problem I see with the C4 files is they're all . LOD files and no .WAv for the cassette interface. And I think all the reverting to the cassette interface work I did UNDID the serial interface l :lol:

All good, happy the board is fully working now. I was just trying to find something more interesting to load than my "hello world" programs I am fat fingering in and saving.
bxdanny

Post by bxdanny »

.LOD files will work with the cassette interface. Just hit M followed by L at the D/C/W/M ? prompt. Text versions can be converted to .WAV files with OSIKCS as easily as BASIC program listings can. But if the programs read the keyboard themselves for "real time" interaction, they won't work with your system. If they rely on the keyboard-scanning routine in ROM to read characters, they will.

But do try the programs in the ZIP file I posted, and let me know if they load properly.
No current OSI hardware
Former programmer for Dwo Quong Fok Lok Sow and Orion Software Associates
Former owner of C1P MF (original version) and C2-8P DF (502-based)
Sideburn

Post by Sideburn »

bxdanny wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:27 am .LOD files will work with the cassette interface. Just hit M followed by L at the D/C/W/M ? prompt. Text versions can be converted to .WAV files with OSIKCS as easily as BASIC program listings can. But if the programs read the keyboard themselves for "real time" interaction, they won't work with your system. If they rely on the keyboard-scanning routine in ROM to read characters, they will.

But do try the programs in the ZIP file I posted, and let me know if they load properly.
OK I was wondering if i can convert LOD to WAV in OSIKCS. I will try. Yeah I have noticed the keyboard scanning issue. the MonsterMaze PacMan clone loaded but only displays half of the screen and they keyboard didn't work. OSI-Grand works and is playable but the right side of the screen is on the left. I will try yours next.
Mark

Post by Mark »

There are some C1P WAV files here: https://osi.marks-lab.com/software/games.html (But they all expect a 1K screen)

Otherwise, if you have a .lod file you want to use, drop it onto the OSIKCS.EXE file in Windows Explorer and you'll have a 300baud WAV file to play with.

The problem you'll have with the C2/C4 files is many use wide screen mode where only the 1st 32 characters per row are visible (visually similar to C1P native screen), also the keyboard values are inverted between the C1 and C2/C4 systems so programs that access the keyboard directly will need to be modified. This is a common activity when porting programs between the two systems.

You may find some UK101 programs work as they use the same keyboard interface as C1P, and some of them were written for a 2K screen. However the UK101 uses a different character generator ROM, so some displayed symbols may be incorrect. Also some programs require functions available in a specific monitor ROM (like Cegmon or Newmon) which will not work with SYN600. UK101 BASIC removes a restriction on the symbols you can load from tape although it is otherwise nearly identical to OSI BASIC, so some programs will give you a syntax error on OSI BASIC that would be accepted with UK101 BASIC.

You can use WinOSI to load files from diskette images, then use the File/Decode Basic... menu to extract the BASIC code, save to a txt file & run through OSIKCS to get a tape loadable file. Many of the Aardvark text adventures should work, although they may be nearly 8K in size which require a looong time to load at 300baud! Other bog standard BASIC program should work fine.

Is there a particular program you are interested in?

Edit: [I see this topic was updated while typing -- Doh!]

Re: OSIKCS There is actually code in the program commented out which changes the WAV header to 21600 sample/sec which then generates perfectly compressible 1200/2400 300-baud tones - at around offset 25-30 in the WAV file change two instances of hex 22 56 to 60 54

The 22050 value was used for historical purposes and was the sample rate used by Ed's CUTS program. The old Sound Blaster had fixed sample frequencies it could deal with and the slightly faster playback didn't seem to affect OSI loads operations. What OSIKCS really needs is a lowpass filter on input and some logic work to make decoding better.
Last edited by Mark on Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sideburn

Post by Sideburn »

bxdanny wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:27 am
Both of them worked :)
Sideburn

Post by Sideburn »

There are some C1P WAV files here: https://osi.marks-lab.com/software/games.html (But they all expect a 1K screen)
Yeah, these are the ones I have been loading.
Otherwise, if you have a .lod file you want to use, drop it onto the OSIKCS.EXE file in Windows Explorer and you'll have a 300baud WAV file to play with.
I will do this and try them.
The problem you'll have with the C2/C4 files is many use wide screen mode where only the 1st 32 characters per row are visible (visually similar to C1P native screen), also the keyboard values are inverted between the C1 and C2/C4 systems so programs that access the keyboard directly will need to be modified. This is a common activity when porting programs between the two systems.
Yeah I am noticing this... many do not accept keyboard input and most of them are split screen.

You may find some UK101 programs work as they use the same keyboard interface as C1P, and some of them were written for a 2K screen. However the UK101 uses a different character generator ROM, so some displayed symbols may be incorrect. Also some programs require functions available in a specific monitor ROM (like Cegmon or Newmon) which will not work with SYN600. UK101 BASIC removes a restriction on the symbols you can load from tape although it is otherwise nearly identical to OSI BASIC, so some programs will give you a syntax error on OSI BASIC that would be accepted with UK101 BASIC.

You can use WinOSI to load files from diskette images, then use the File/Decode Basic... menu to extract the BASIC code, save to a txt file & run through OSIKCS to get a tape loadable file. Many of the Aardvark text adventures should work, although they may be nearly 8K in size which require a looong time to load at 300baud! Other bog standard BASIC program should work fine.

Is there a particular program you are interested in?
I will experiment. Na nothing in particular just playing around with the newly working board. I am a complete n00b when it comes to all things OSI. This is my first board. My friend gave it to me a couple years ago. It was his first computer when he was a kid. SO just in the last few months I dragged it out and worked on it.

The HEX15 puzzle will keep me occupied for a while lol