Help with OS65D (CREATE and PUT)

nama

Help with OS65D (CREATE and PUT)

Post by nama »

So I'm new to OS65D and I'm struggling to figure out how it works with saving files.
I know you have to CREATE a blank file and then PUT actual contents into it.

Here is what I have done (using OS65D Tutorial Disk 5 in WinOSI emulator, but the OS65D Tutorial Disk 5 real machine seems the same):
- 'Create a blank data diskette' using the tutorial disk 5. Makes a blank disk with only the 'DIRECT' (directory) program at track 12.
- 'Create a new file'
- enter the 6 character file name
- enter the number of tracks, in my case it's just 1.
- 'do I want to initialise these tracks' ...Yes
- 'how many pages' ...8 pages (default)

Then I get an ERR #3 ERROR in 2160

If I try to LIST line 2160, I get a ?SN ERROR. LIST doesn't seem to work...so weird.

Doing a directory listing on the floppy shows no file was created.

Next I tried to 'CREATE' a file in BASIC.

- DISK! "LOAD CREATE" then RUN
- Enter the password = PASS
- enter the 6 character file name
- then asks me for 'FIRST TRACK OF FILE' as this is a blank disk I chose 0
- the message repeats 'FIRST TRACK OF FILE'...I tried 1
- the message repeats 'FIRST TRACK OF FILE'...I tried 2
etc...
- finally i try track 13, and I finally get the message 'NUMBER OF TRACKS IN FILE?'...I enter 1
Then the CREATE program resets and asks for a password again. Doing a directory listing on the floppy shows no file was created.

What can I be doing wrong???

I do seem to be able use the option 'Create a diskette with files' from the Tutorial Disk 5, which creates a disk with 5 default files of 5 tracks each. I can also seem to PUT data into these files. The problem is that this is not what I want. I want to be able to specify how many tracks a file should be and not have to stick with the 5 track default.

2P (1mhz 32k) - 502 + 8k + CEGMON + garbage collector fix BASIC, D&N MEM-CM9 + 24k, 540 (mono) [SOLD]
4PMF (2mhz 24k) - 505, 540, 527, D13 + 5.25" + Gotek
Superboard RevD - CEGMON + 610 board 24k + D13
Spares - 3 x 527, 1 x 505, Backplane