Boot disk for c1p

BillO

Re: Boot disk for c1p

Post by BillO »

Sigh! :(

I'm not having much luck with this. I have tried making boot files from several of the C1P 5.25" images and I get varying results. I can get the A* prompt, either locally (on the OSI) or on the terminal. The routine entry points I have looked at check out, but some versions just go into space if I enter a command, others just give me errors. None will home the head, or initialize a disk, or execute any other command.

I'm guessing it's my 600 board and whatever is causing the weird memory problems I'm having.
Box stock Superboard II Rev. B
KLyball replica 600D, replica 610 & KLyball Data Separator
OMS SBME and SBME+ memory cards
OMS Digi-Mule expansion bus
KLyball memory card
BillO

Post by BillO »

Okay!

I've made some headway.

You first have to reset your machine and select D to initialize the FD hardware, then reset again, enter the monitor, load the OS code and then things start to work properly.

Onwards and upwards, as they say...
KLyball memory card
BillO

Post by BillO »

Well, my luck was short lived.

Every time I try to save a track I'm greeted with ERR #9. It's like the disks are not formatting.

When I format the disk, everything seems to go as it's supposed to. The SAVE command make the drive step to the right track, then about a second later I get the ERR #9.

So far I have tried:
> Scoping the ACIA - there is TX data while formatting
> Replacing the ACIA
> Replacing the 7400 and the 7404 that make the write data signal
> replacing the disk drive
> replacing the disk

None of that made any difference. Any ideas?
KLyball memory card
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Yes. I had those exact problems with my setup....lots of error 9's

I don't have any answers at the moment, but here is a short program that will dump what you 'supposably' have written to your disks so far.

It dumps to your serial port.
RAWDUMP.HEX.zip
(1.4 KiB) Downloaded 1165 times
If your disks formatted correctly, you should see Track headers and footers on each track except 0.

Track Header: 43 57 TT 58 [optionally some meaningless random bytes]
Sector Header: 76 SS PP
[DATA]
Track Footer: 47 53 [followed by a bunch of 00 00 00 00]

There may be FF's at the start and end... this is normal

Oh, and I am still looking into my new router.... it may be pooched also... it does not want to port forward.

Let me know what is written so far on your disks

/Jeff
MK14HAK

Post by MK14HAK »

Error 9s fixed here with replacement drive and/or media.
600RevB:16K,2MHz,64x32,470,CEGMON
SuperKit:502,540B,542B,CEGMON, 8" and 5" FDDs
Cards:PE IO,6522 D-A-D, AY3-8910,ProgramGraphics,Color,UK101
WIP:HexDOS,FDD Emulator
Klyball

Post by Klyball »

ERR #9 seems to be a common problem when trying to make a disk using boot code, as mike suggested different media has solved it for me, but also switching between starting the boot code at 2217 then 2a51 and back , once the formatting catches all seems to go well, and once you get the disk made all seems to be well .
As Jeff said, checking the formatted disk to see if the track headers are getting written is the next step, I have found it difficult to format some disk and not others , the timing could be slightly off.

Grant
Replica 600 Rev D:8K,CEGMON
Replica 610 Rev B: 24k,MPI B-51 with Custom Data separator D-13
510 on the bench/replica 582 backplane/replica 470a /replica 555/original 570B/2 x Shugart 851
Ongoing : 630 ,620 ,510,542c,custom 590,SA1200,592,594,596,598
BillO

Post by BillO »

Thanks a ton folks.

Glad to see I'm not alone with getting these errors. I have a brand new, sealed box of diskettes I'll break out for this purpose.
KLyball memory card
BillO

Post by BillO »

Well, there is definitely something written in trk1 of the disk I tried to write, but a lot of it is not the same as what was supposed to be written there. There are track headers in subsequent tracks with the odd error, so this may be a media problem.

I will now switch to new diskettes and try again.
KLyball memory card
Klyball

Post by Klyball »

Make sure you have good ground between everything, I was using a different supply to power my drives and had all kinds of problems till I grounded everything together
Replica 600 Rev D:8K,CEGMON
Replica 610 Rev B: 24k,MPI B-51 with Custom Data separator D-13
510 on the bench/replica 582 backplane/replica 470a /replica 555/original 570B/2 x Shugart 851
Ongoing : 630 ,620 ,510,542c,custom 590,SA1200,592,594,596,598
geowar1

Post by geowar1 »

I recently bought a C4PMF off eBay… w/24K memory & 5.25" floppy drive.
I disconnected the PSW's and "smoke checked" them… no smoke… good to go.
Reconnected and powered up… garbage on screen… pressed break key… screen mostly cleared (some garbage in columns) but "H/D/M?" prompt on top line! (IT LIVES!!! ;-)
--
Ok, I got no boot floppies so now what? Well a few googles later I find this page and… understand very little…

Open C1P-OS65D_3.1.65D in hex editor ,strip format info from track 0 and track 1 and combine ,we need to change 2 values so the os won't try to load basic
at 22B3 change 4C E6 2A to 4C 47 25 save as boot.65d

I've downloaded the C4P file ("IS65D V3.2 (NMHZ)") from this site (instead of the C1P one)but…

I can open it in a hex editor on my desktop machine but not a clue what "strip format info from track 0 and track 1" means.

using Osilod make .lod file with -l2200 -x2547(for terminal control) or -x2217(for local control)

What is Odilod? Google doesn't know. I assume that it turns a binary file into monitor commands (as if I were typing the bytes into the OSI monitor: ".0200 / xx <ret> xx <ret> xx <ret>", etc.).

Does "terminal control" mean via RS232 port? Local mean keyboard/monitor?

load file to system , if everthing worked you should have A* on ethier your teminal or system screen

How do I "load file to system"? The monitor "L" command doesn't seem to do anything…

I've got my desktop machine connected vis RS232 9600 8N1… loopback works (so the wire is good) but I'm not seeing any echo / the C4P doesn't respond to anything I type.

Little help?