DOS/65 Richard Leary

RichLeary

Re: DOS/65 Richard Leary

Post by RichLeary »

The attached .zip file has the DOS/65 source code for the C1 MONITOR ROM that will directly boot DOS/65 and the source code for the 5 inch format routine.

DOS/65 is freely distributable for non-commercial use. I do ask that the lineage of the code be documented in the source files.

Thanks,

Rich
Attachments
C1MON-FOR.zip
(11.61 KiB) Downloaded 582 times
RichLeary

Post by RichLeary »

Attached is a .zip file with the source code for the five inch drive utilities included with the OSI release.

The V2.01 files are minor changed versions that can be assembled without change using the shareware or licensed version of TASM. Note that for all ongoing development and maintenance I use either the native assembler (ASM.COM) or the WDC tool set. I do not currently use TASM but I keep it available.

Thanks,

Rich
Attachments
5INCH-UTIL.zip
(32.56 KiB) Downloaded 583 times
RichLeary

Post by RichLeary »

In the midst of checking the versions of the files for the C1P release it looks like I have developed a bad drive B. I have a spare 40T SS drive that I will try to swap with that drive. Once that swap happens then I will have to verify that the "new" drive is working correctly.

It will take a few days to get that done because of other planned activities.

My plan once when I get the drive issue resolved is to complete the file checks and then build both a .COM and a .ASM ZIP file containing all the files in the OSI release in executable and source form.

That step will precede generating simulator compatible image files.

Rich
bxdanny

Post by bxdanny »

Rich: Does this mean that you don't want Mike to post the working images of the existing version that he apparently already has? Can I ask why not?

Mike: Can you describe what you did to get it working?
No current OSI hardware
Former programmer for Dwo Quong Fok Lok Sow and Orion Software Associates
Former owner of C1P MF (original version) and C2-8P DF (502-based)
RichLeary

Post by RichLeary »

Mike or anyone else can post the images they have or create - not a problem.

My goal is to able to generate the images so I can easily distribute the last OSI released baseline and then distribute updates.

It is probably worthwhile for me to discuss the nature of the updates since the last OSI release in the 1986 timeframe.

Shortly after that release the major focus was on incorporating a full blown disk de-blocking algorithm into the Primitive Execution Module (PEM) and System Interface Module (SIM) of DOS/65. That was critical for disk performance especially as the focus shifted to floppy disk formats that used 512 byte sectors or to hard drives with 256 or 512 byte sectors. That algorithm dramatically improves performance and is the major functional change in V2.1. There are other changes including more built in command options in the normally resident Console Command Module (CCM). The supplied transients changed also. Sometimes the changes were minor but sometime major including bug fixes.

All of those changes need to be migrated to the OSI environment. The most difficult will be the de-blocking algorithm due to the need to read and write entire tracks in the OSI environments. The baseline OSI SIMs already have primitive de-blocking that allows DOS/65 records (the basic 128 byte disk file increment) to be read from or written to the OSI hardware sector - a full track in the OSI world.

Most of the transients do not care about the de-blocking so many of them can be replaced with the latest V2.1 compatible version.

The most recent (Feb 2015) release is V3.0 and that release is exciting because of the new features. The first is the incorporation of a batch processing capability that operates the same as the CP/M SUBMIT. The names are the same. The user creates a .SUB file that contains the commands that are to be performed. Parameter substitution is provided. The file is executed from the A: drive by typing SUBMIT followed by the name of the .SUB file and the actual parameters to be used in place of the dummy parameters in the .SUB file.

The second major change is incorporation of "user areas" into the disk directory structure. There can be up to 16 such areas on each disk (floppy or hard). A user area is accessed by typing the command USER nn where nn is 0 to 15. You only see the files that are in the current user area but a utility is provided (COPY3) to copy files from one user area to another and a new transient directory utility (SD - for Super Directory) is provided that will show the files in all user areas of a drive and show the size of each file.

The good news is that once we get the OSI users to the latest V2.1 level upgrading to V3.0 requires only a minor SIM and BOOT change because CCM is a little larger in V3.0.

Thanks,

Rich
RichLeary

Post by RichLeary »

Here is a ZIP file containing the SIM and BOOT for my 40KB C1P. It works with my D&N expansion board (RAM and floppy I0) and probably would need to be modified for different expansion hardware including memory size. It also assumes use of my MONITOR ROM.

Thanks,

Rich Leary
Attachments
MYC1.zip
(4.75 KiB) Downloaded 568 times
MK14HAK

Post by MK14HAK »

The DOS65 I have has 10 5" disk images ! 11 including a boot disk.

These images are among others that Mark Spankus sent me in 2013. We were working the to get DOS65, 65U and WP3 images to run in winOSI and trialling his new version of winOSI.
Richards appearance on the forum renewed my interest in getting DOS65 going.

It will take me some time to get physical disks up and running. Apart from fixing errors in the images on all disks ! , I need more ram on my RevD. (48K would be easiest) to try the DOS. Also I don't think the DOS I have ( v2.01 ) is the latest version. Without using a modified Mon rom ( under construction ) you need min 2 disks. If I can rebuild the OS for 40K or smaller I may try that and build the min 2 disks to start.

Looks useful system tho. (no volume names, file date stamps. But Utils for reading OSI dir, BASIC and ASM sources and the ability to edit large source files) I am still learning the OS.

I will liase with Richard and see if I upload these images when fully debugged or possibly upgrade them to a later version before hand. You may find them useful until more reliable images appear.
Hold tight and we will have DOS65 soon...

At the moment using the DOS even in the emulator is an odd experience on a 6502 OSI.

PS sorry I wrote this before I saw Richs reply
600RevB:16K,2MHz,64x32,470,CEGMON
SuperKit:502,540B,542B,CEGMON, 8" and 5" FDDs
Cards:PE IO,6522 D-A-D, AY3-8910,ProgramGraphics,Color,UK101
WIP:HexDOS,FDD Emulator
RichLeary

Post by RichLeary »

Here is the V2.0 OSI supplement in .PDF form.

Thanks,

Rich
Attachments
OSI Manual.zip
(116.11 KiB) Downloaded 564 times
RichLeary

Post by RichLeary »

Here is the one page instruction sheet for the C1 MONITOR ROM.

Thanks,

Rich
Attachments
C1MON DOC.zip
(5.23 KiB) Downloaded 566 times
MK14HAK

Post by MK14HAK »

Mike: Can you describe what you did to get it working?
see here: http://osiweb.org/osiforum/viewtopic.ph ... 1522#p1522

Rich thanks for all the posted files.
512K blocks will be welcome.
600RevB:16K,2MHz,64x32,470,CEGMON
SuperKit:502,540B,542B,CEGMON, 8" and 5" FDDs
Cards:PE IO,6522 D-A-D, AY3-8910,ProgramGraphics,Color,UK101
WIP:HexDOS,FDD Emulator