Restored O.S.I. Invaders (SCG-971 C1P)

Tim

Restored O.S.I. Invaders (SCG-971 C1P)

Post by Tim »

Hi Dave and all,

This is my first post, so thank you all for the great forum, nostalgia, and information :)

I've seen a few screenshots of Space Invaders games running on OSI/Compukit machines and emulators, but none of them look like the one I played on my grandfather's C1P when I was a kid. It was a lovely game with really fast, smooth, graphics. Last year I found the cassette in our garage, and it was (and is) still in great condition. In case anyone wants to try it out, I've uploaded the audio (FLAC format), a binary (converted with Mark Ward's Kansas City Tape Decoder), and a photo of the cassette, to my homepage - URL below. Have fun :)

https://trmusson.dreamhosters.com/c1p.html
[Edit: Updated URL, 2021-10-12]

Since this version of Invaders seems to be rare, I really encourage people to add it to their collections, to make sure it doesn't disappear.

I'd also love to hear if anyone else remembers this version, or has any information about it, such as who the author was.

By the way, just realised that it's possible to run this invaders game in a web browser, using the excellent web-based C1P emulator over at pcjs.org - the steps are as follows:
  1. Download the file named osi_invaders_scg_971_c1p.tape
  2. Visit http://www.pcjs.org/docs/c1pjs/
  3. Under the emulator display, use the Choose file button to select the invaders tape downloaded in step 1
  4. Mouse-click the emulator's <BREAK> button
  5. Press <C> on your keyboard, then hit <ENTER> twice
  6. You should now see the C1P's BASIC "OK" prompt
  7. Mouse-click the emulator's <Mount> button - the emulator will switch to the machine code monitor and begin loading the game
  8. After the machine code and BASIC sections of the game have loaded, press <SPACE> on your keyboard, then <ENTER>, and then type in RUN, followed by <ENTER>. And that should do it! A mission, eh? :D
Last edited by Tim on Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C1P Rev B, 8K, S/N 12411
dave
Site Admin

Re: Restored O.S.I. Invaders (SCG-971 C1P)

Post by dave »

Nice! If you don't mind, I would like to add that to the software section of the website.
Dave
Tim

Post by Tim »

Please do! It's a sweet wee game, it really deserves to live on and be played :)
C1P Rev B, 8K, S/N 12411
MK14HAK

Post by MK14HAK »

Welcome Tim, I had the Aardvark version. I do remember Whitcoulls book store in AK with the OSI tape carousel of their titles. Unfortunately I no longer have my shoe box of tapes.
Mike
600RevB:16K,2MHz,64x32,470,CEGMON
SuperKit:502,540B,542B,CEGMON, 8" and 5" FDDs
Cards:PE IO,6522 D-A-D, AY3-8910,ProgramGraphics,Color,UK101
WIP:HexDOS,FDD Emulator