D&N Micro Products scans

Steve Gray

D&N Micro Products scans

Post by Steve Gray »

Hi,

I have scanned and posted some "D & N Micro Products" documentation. They are available on my OSI C4P page:
http://www.6502.org/users/sjgray/comput ... index.html

1) "MEM-CM9" board with 24K RAM + Disk Controller - Documentation and schematics
2) Some type of Prototype board with RAM, Disk controller, multi-serial, and keyboard port - schematics only

Enjoy!
Steve
C4P working, C1P working. 600D Replica working, C4P+D&N floppy not working. 505 board, 610 board, Mittendorf board, TOSIE hacker board need testing, PicoDOS disk untested.
dave
Site Admin

Re: D&N Micro Products scans

Post by dave »

Very nice! I was always interested in their stuff, and never did get to actually see any of it.

Dave
Steve Gray

Post by Steve Gray »

Dave, feel free to re-post on your site if you want.

Steve
C4P working, C1P working. 600D Replica working, C4P+D&N floppy not working. 505 board, 610 board, Mittendorf board, TOSIE hacker board need testing, PicoDOS disk untested.
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Done! Thanks.
Steve Gray

Post by Steve Gray »

Hi Dave,

I go through cycles between my vintage computers. Most of the time I concentrate on the Commodore stuff, but then I go back to OSI for a while. The last few months I've picked up some OSI things and I'd really like to get a few projects done. Scanning those Aardvark Journals and some of the OSI books is on my list, as well as getting the 505 board and disk drives going. The mittendorf board was working last time I tried it, but it got removed to make room for the D&N board. I never really completed the TOSIE Hacker board (it has lots of options) but I think it's functional as well. I would like to take a look at them again for sure.

As a side note, while reading some of the Peek65 articles I saw mention of an 65816 board for the OSI by Paul Chidley. I met Paul at some of the TOSIE meetings and I think he even repaired my 502 board at one time. I tried to contact him via facebook but I'm not sure it i got the correct person and I never got a reply. I was hoping he could provide more info or even had some OSI stuff left over.

Steve
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Hi Steve,

That would be great. In Memphis, we didn't have the critical mass of OSI users to form a users group. One of my best friends had a C2, and his friend had a C2, and the closest thing to a users' group was lugging our computers to each other's houses, debugging flaky hardware, adding on various little hacks, and writing code. Also, we would hang out at Computer Power of Memphis, the local OSI dealer. The owner, Steve, was a great source of knowledge and computer wisdom.

I think it would be a great idea to try to seek out the OSI personalities of the day, and try to preserve as much of their wisdom and accomplishment as possible.

It would be great if you got the mittendorf board working and took some screen shots. If you have any documentation with schematics and installation instructions, it would be great as well. I did my own hi-res hack using 16K of 6116 RAM chips at 8000-9FFF, hooking into the video timing chain of the 540 board, and a 74LS181 ALU to combine the output with the regular video output to allow effects like blinking, xor, reverse video regions, blanked regions, etc. The hack did not require too many chips, but there were a lot of wires between the add-on board and the 540, and one wire or the other was always breaking from constant handling. If I re-do it, I know to use a ribbon cable next time. I have always been curious to see how Mittendorf and the others did it; I had had figured that they replicated the whole timing chain in order to minimize the connections.

Any info you have on the TOSIE board would be great as well. It looks very interesting.

Dave
Steve Gray

Post by Steve Gray »

The mittendorf board only connected to the expansion socket, so when it was installed the machine had two separate video outputs. I think I would have preferred your mod if the output combined with the normal video and had special features. The tosie hacker board was definitely interesting. It had expansion ram, additional character sets and sound chips. The board was described in the tosie newsletter, of which I have some, but not all issues.

I will try to scan some tosie newsletters, but I don't think I have any documentation on the mittendorf board.

Steve