OSI floppy disk creation with autoDC

MK14HAK

OSI floppy disk creation with autoDC

Post by MK14HAK »

autoDC.jpg
autoDC.jpg (35.36 KiB) Viewed 23335 times
My first attempt at an automated way of creating floppies started almost 5 years ago to the day. Using a large interactive DOS bat file and and a cumbersome number of split files. It never saw the light of day but got me thinking...

autoDC is a process to semi-automate the creation of real floppies from WinOSI disk images.Two programs are used:

autoSplitImage booted from WinOSI generates a minimal number of splits from image files.
autoDiskCreate booted from an OSI system automatically reconstitutes a floppy disk from the serialed splits via a Tera Term macro.

The autoDC process is pretty much hands free using the supplied macros or edit these for your own autoSI generated splits.
The autoSI command runs also on the OSI system to generate archive files.

I'm thankful to have been able to complete this finally after a stop-start few years. Floppies give you the real retro feel. I hope it encourages a few to build that missing controller or share your existing disks.

PS.You may wish to create an autoDC BootDisk for starters. A C4 5" version and preliminary manual is in the initial upload and I'll have a few splits and macros following.

Mike

autoDC 0.4 Upload.zip
(102.69 KiB) Downloaded 1191 times
C1 autoDC 0.4.zip
(8.45 KiB) Downloaded 1111 times
C8 autoDC 0.4.zip
(7.96 KiB) Downloaded 1103 times

autoSI: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=421#p2817

Splits and Tera Term macros: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=421&start=10#p2827

Last update 23 Jan 19: Added autoDC C1 and C8 versions. autoSI v0.6 and C4_Tutorial Disk5 split and macro.

Further splits and 65U version to follow...
Last edited by MK14HAK on Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:30 am, edited 11 times in total.
600RevB:16K,2MHz,64x32,470,CEGMON
SuperKit:502,540B,542B,CEGMON, 8" and 5" FDDs
Cards:PE IO,6522 D-A-D, AY3-8910,ProgramGraphics,Color,UK101
WIP:HexDOS,FDD Emulator
nama

Re: OSI floppy disk creation with autoDC

Post by nama »

WOOHOO!!!!

It's great to see this finally released. Congratulations.
Lots of exciting things happening in the OSI world recently.

Phil
Last edited by nama on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

2P (1mhz 32k) - 502 + 8k + CEGMON + garbage collector fix BASIC, D&N MEM-CM9 + 24k, 540 (mono) [SOLD]
4PMF (2mhz 24k) - 505, 540, 527, D13 + 5.25" + Gotek
Superboard RevD - CEGMON + 610 board 24k + D13
Spares - 3 x 527, 1 x 505, Backplane
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

Love it!
nama

Post by nama »

AutoDC boot disk made...bring on the splits and macros :-)

Would be fantastic if we could all chip in to build a database of splits. Dave, would you be able to host such a thing?

Phil

2P (1mhz 32k) - 502 + 8k + CEGMON + garbage collector fix BASIC, D&N MEM-CM9 + 24k, 540 (mono) [SOLD]
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

By splits, does that mean that for every disk image, we provide a track-by-track version of that image?
nama

Post by nama »

Hi Dave,
Mike's AutoDC program automatically assembles and creates real disks from disk image splits. I think one 39 track disk can be split, then re-assembled from just 3 split files. e.g. tracks 0-13, 14-26, 27-39.

Although Mike software has semi automated the split process, it still takes a little bit of time. What would probably be best is that once a disk has been split, then those split files are archived so others don't have to do the process of splitting the disk again.

Mike's AutoDC works in conjunction with a Teraterm macro file to then automatically re-assemble the splits and write a new floppy.

Again, if there was a library of splits (3 files), and (possibly) the macro, it would be very easy and quick to bootstrap a system which lacks bootable floppies by generating new floppy disks, or for an existing OSI disk system user to easily extend their library of floppy disks.

Mike will probably be able to explain much better...but check out the comprehensive documentation for a better understanding.

Cheers

Phil

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

If we had a little tool that will split a full image on the spot, would it be possible to integrate that into the autoDC workflow?
dave
Site Admin

Post by dave »

@Mike: Really nice job working getting this all going. Thanks so much for making this much needed missing link!

I've been looking through the docs, and I think I understand better how this works, but would it be possible to share a short technical overview of the software that actually ends up running on the OSI machine to communicate with the Teraterm scripts?

If the split procedure is just literally splitting the regular WinOSI disk file into 3 pieces, I think that srec_cat (1) could be used from the command line to generate each .lod file. A script could generate all the chunks. If the Teraterm script can call external programs, then this could be automated.

For those of us with Macs and Linux boxes, I wonder if this may be a good starting point for porting the Teraterm scripts to something like Python, since it seems that the scripting and the serial connection are more important than the actual terminal functionality here.

(1) http://srecord.sourceforge.net/man/man1 ... mples.html
MK14HAK

Post by MK14HAK »

You're welcome Dave.

Keep it simple stupid or what we call the 'number 8 wire' approach down under. The OSI DOS on completion of a command either sends 'Ready' or 'Error'.The Tera Term macro simply continues on receiving 'Ready' or times out and aborts if not received or 'Error' encountered. There is no checking for file not found or checksums etc. Phil has had success at 9600 and it has worked fine for me at 4800 baud.

I have recently uploaded C1 C1_RevD and 8' versions and would appreciate any feedback on these as I don't have these systems running at the moment.
semi automated the split process, it still takes a little bit of time.
This is the times we live in! The spit process as is is a doddle. 40 tracks requires Tk0 and 4 additional split files. Maybe 5 min to split and name the files. 77 tracks, tk0 plus 10 . Some disks will not require all tracks. The major saving is gained by not sending so many separate splits and the manual SA tk,s=xxxx/p process avoided. Just shame it wasn't done earlier for those creating 77 track disks manually. I've left DO65 full set until I had this finished. I'm happy with the autoSI split process as is and surely can find 5-10 min of hobby time for it.

I have temporarily withheld the autoSI to prevent people duplicating the work involved.If this process gains traction then yes a repository of macros and splits is intended. (OSIweb ?) With an organised shared effort and following a common folder and file naming convention this will not take long at all to complete all if required, of the disks out there. By the way the process is compatible with DOS65. (I will provide full version splits for this eventually) Also a 65U version is now in progress...

Surely Linux and MAC users can dual boot or use a Virtual XP box.

Cheers Mike
Last edited by MK14HAK on Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
MK14HAK

Post by MK14HAK »

autoSI v0.6 for 5.25" and 8" WinOSI image splits:

This process has been greatly simplified compared to the initial version (unreleased) described in the manual with most of those steps now removed.The Saving... has been automated along with the SI command. Minmum keystrokes are now required.
Updated manual to follow.

Mount the image you intend splitting in drive B. (OS65D and DOS65 currently supported)

Boot autoSI from WinOSI. (see autoDC manual for WinOSI version and configuration) CPU speed and serial baud rate to max no prompts.

At the B%DI 01,39 prompt press <return> to check your image file for track-sector errors.Correct any.

B% Type SI 01,39 press <return> or edit the SI command line for the track range you wish to split.

Name your splits as per the Tracks Split list. imagename_01-12.LOD etc.

B%R0 Press <return> to split Track0

B% Type DI 01,39 Press <CTRL+P> then <F9> to Open an output text file for your Tera Term macro editing reference to the track-sector directory list of the image.Press <return> then when done press <F9> to close the output file. <CTRL+P> to close serial out.

Open Tera Term and edit macro file (using the reference file for track-sector layout)

Boot autoDC floppy from the OSI and run the macro to auto create your OSI floppy.

autoSI v0.6.zip
(10.56 KiB) Downloaded 1117 times

Splits and Tera Term macros: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=421&start=10

autoSI.JPG
autoSI.JPG (62.03 KiB) Viewed 22194 times
Last edited by MK14HAK on Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:27 am, edited 14 times in total.