Request for 5.25" boot disks

nama

Request for 5.25" boot disks

Post by nama »

As many of you know I have been repairing (with Dave's help) an Ohio Scientific C42P. It's been quite a process with nearly every part of the system needing some fix (CPU board, Video Board, Power supply, Keyboard, Disk drive). Surprisingly the RAM boards were fine...go figure!

Anyway, now that I believe I have the system working, I need to test it. The computer itself works fine and I have transferred a few programs via serial and have run them without problem. However I do not have any floppy boot disks, and I need these to test both the disk drive itself and to actually load Basic. I have tried, on and off, for the last couple of months to build a floppy disk from images found on the net, but I ultimately failed. If I can get hold of a boot floppy, and if my floppy drive actually now works, then I should be able to use that master disk to build multiple more floppies. As Dave and I (mostly Dave actually) are working on a new paddle board to allow OSI systems to sue more modern drives like 3.5" ones, I'll also ultimately need a floppy to test this too.

I've been asking around on a few forums, but the situation is looking quite dire indeed. It seems that OSI 5.25" floppies are just very hard to find. This is bad news for the future of OSI systems, and I think we need to, as a group, figure out how to archive what remains and figure out some bootstrapping tecnique sooner rather than later. I know there has been talk on this before, and there is movement in this direction already.

So, if anyone has has the means to make me a couple copies of 5.25" Ohio Scientific boot disks, I'd be greatly indebted.

Much thanks in advance

Philip

2P (1mhz 32k) - 502 + 8k + CEGMON + garbage collector fix BASIC, D&N MEM-CM9 + 24k, 540 (mono) [SOLD]
4PMF (2mhz 24k) - 505, 540, 527, D13 + 5.25" + Gotek
Superboard RevD - CEGMON + 610 board 24k + D13
Spares - 3 x 527, 1 x 505, Backplane
billdrom

Re: Request for 5.25" boot disks

Post by billdrom »

I had one of the exhibitors at VCF 8.0 make two copies of the 5.25 boot disks for me but I don't have a disk system operating just yet.
I could send you one of these to get you started as I won't need it for a while.
You can understand that I can't send both of them.

Where to?

Bill
nama

Re: Request for 5.25" boot disks

Post by nama »

Hi Bill,
That is mighty generous of you. However, I was wondering if it might be a good idea if I try to contact the OSI exhibiter at VCF 8 and see if he would be kind enough to make a few extra copies first. I feel that taking one of your disks would be a last resort as I know how precious they are.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Philip

2P (1mhz 32k) - 502 + 8k + CEGMON + garbage collector fix BASIC, D&N MEM-CM9 + 24k, 540 (mono) [SOLD]
4PMF (2mhz 24k) - 505, 540, 527, D13 + 5.25" + Gotek
Superboard RevD - CEGMON + 610 board 24k + D13
Spares - 3 x 527, 1 x 505, Backplane