Improving signal strength on Superboard II

Sideburn

Re: Improving signal strength on Superboard II

Post by Sideburn »

ronin47 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:33 pm That's incredibly good quality for a normal extrusion type printer, makes my old beater of a printer look positively archaic!!
Haha I know. I have had 3d printers since the DIY Makerbot Cupcake CNC back in 2009. It had a 4" build platform and a .3 layer height and you had to hand wind the hot end and build the whole thing yourself.. Back then people didn't even know what a 3d printer was and it seemed like magic that you could make something out of nothing. It came as a box of parts and most parts were 3d printed.

It's pretty funny to see how far we've come now! : https://www.flickr.com/photos/laughingsquid/4688771258

Since then I had a couple more and about a year ago I was in the middle of a project and my printer broke down AGAIN and I had to get the wrenches, pliers and soldering iron out and at that time the Bambu printer was just being released and I had been eyeing it but could not justify buying a new printer. Well that day was the final straw and I just purchased it right then and there.

It's virtually maintenance free so far and super easy to replace hot ends, nozzles etc. It's got all kinds of sensors on it like Lidar, cameras etc.. It can also print in color by automatically changing out filaments during the print. And for what you get I don't think the price is that bad.
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

Sideburn wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:55 pm
ronin47 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:33 pm That's incredibly good quality for a normal extrusion type printer, makes my old beater of a printer look positively archaic!!
Haha I know. I have had 3d printers since the DIY Makerbot Cupcake CNC back in 2009. It had a 4" build platform and a .3 layer height and you had to hand wind the hot end and build the whole thing yourself.. Back then people didn't even know what a 3d printer was and it seemed like magic that you could make something out of nothing. It came as a box of parts and most parts were 3d printed.

It's pretty funny to see how far we've come now! : https://www.flickr.com/photos/laughingsquid/4688771258

Since then I had a couple more and about a year ago I was in the middle of a project and my printer broke down AGAIN and I had to get the wrenches, pliers and soldering iron out and at that time the Bambu printer was just being released and I had been eyeing it but could not justify buying a new printer. Well that day was the final straw and I just purchased it right then and there.

It's virtually maintenance free so far and super easy to replace hot ends, nozzles etc. It's got all kinds of sensors on it like Lidar, cameras etc.. It can also print in color by automatically changing out filaments during the print. And for what you get I don't think the price is that bad.
I think one of the guys on the forum I'm an admin for recently got one, the problem I have is that I just don't use it often enough to justify the cost.

Then again if I had a decent one, would I use it more?
Sideburn

Post by Sideburn »

ronin47 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:17 pm I think one of the guys on the forum I'm an admin for recently got one, the problem I have is that I just don't use it often enough to justify the cost.

Thats exactly what kept me from pulling the trigger... Just wait til next time yours breaks down and then go for it :lol: I have to say I have been using it a lot since I got it. It's just another tool that I have to have available when needed and I have kindof changed my ways and just get quality tools now. Another similar situation was a few years ago I just threw in the towel and bought a $300.00 desoldering gun and once I had it I realized I should have done that 20 years ago!
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

Sideburn wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:45 pm
ronin47 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:17 pm I think one of the guys on the forum I'm an admin for recently got one, the problem I have is that I just don't use it often enough to justify the cost.

Thats exactly what kept me from pulling the trigger... Just wait til next time yours breaks down and then go for it :lol: I have to say I have been using it a lot since I got it. It's just another tool that I have to have available when needed and I have kindof changed my ways and just get quality tools now. Another similar situation was a few years ago I just threw in the towel and bought a $300.00 desoldering gun and once I had it I realized I should have done that 20 years ago!
Yeah, these days I will tend to spend more on tools, it definitely pays off in the end, and though I didn't spend $300 on a desoldering gun, more like $130 at the time, it has been an absolute godsend.
Sideburn

Post by Sideburn »

I think i tortured myself with a squeeze bulb and a spring loaded desoldering tool from age 10 to 45 :lol:
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

Sideburn wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:10 pm I think i tortured myself with a squeeze bulb and a spring loaded desoldering tool from age 10 to 45 :lol:
For me it was a hand held solder sucker that was more trouble than it was worth. I still have it but it rarely comes out to play.
Last edited by ronin47 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sideburn

Post by Sideburn »

right thats what I meant by spring loaded... I think you are talking about the same thing.. Horrible..
Now I use the Hako and a heat gun... And solder wick/flux. The toughest one I've done so far was a Motorola 68030. its a giant heat sink basically with lots of pins but the trick for that is to use both a heat and desoldering gun.
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

Sideburn wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:00 pm right thats what I meant by spring loaded... I think you are talking about the same thing.. Horrible..
Now I use the Hako and a heat gun... And solder wick/flux. The toughest one I've done so far was a Motorola 68030. its a giant heat sink basically with lots of pins but the trick for that is to use both a heat and desoldering gun.
They are indeed horrible, I use a Duratool desolder gun and heatgun, but mostly the Duratool does everything I need. Wick too if needs be.