Dsiplay interface for UK101

jazzade

Dsiplay interface for UK101

Post by jazzade »

I've got my old (monochrome) UK101 running using a cheap (£35) Chinese UHF-HDMI interface but the quality is terrible.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I might take the analogue monitor signal directly from the board, bypassing the UHF modulator, and interface this with a modern display using VGA/DVI/HDMI?

Thank you.
ronin47

Re: Dsiplay interface for UK101

Post by ronin47 »

As I understand it, the UK101 is a very close copy of the 600 Superboard, so I'd suggest a close look at pin 12 of J2, which is composite out on the Superboard and is what I connect to video with using my Klyball replica, though it is NTSC so I had to get a display that supported that.

I get a very sharp output, though I did add a buffer circuit that improves signal quality.

Obviously I can't 100% say that the UK101 is the same, but I think I'd start with the schematics.

EDIT - Have a look at the manual here: http://www.compukit.org/images/8/8e/Compukit-manual.pdf

The video circuit is almost identical and does show video out at pin 12 of J2. The main difference is that on the Superboard , R58 is a trimmer resistor, but R58 is set at 560R on the UK101.
jazzade

Post by jazzade »

That's really useful information, thank you.

I'll try something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/RCA-Svideo-HDM ... B0C6XFWX21 which should deal with PAL/NTSC and preserve the 4:3 aspect ratio.

Do you have a schematic for your buffer circuit?
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

jazzade wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:03 pm That's really useful information, thank you.

I'll try something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/RCA-Svideo-HDM ... B0C6XFWX21 which should deal with PAL/NTSC and preserve the 4:3 aspect ratio.

Do you have a schematic for your buffer circuit?
Have a look on this page: viewtopic.php?p=5553#p5553

There are a couple of circuits on there, one I used and one somebody else used. I left the original and buffered output connected so I could choose which one I wanted to use.
jazzade

Post by jazzade »

I'm guessing that the budget composite interface that I'm looking at would benefit from a decent input signal.

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again.
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

jazzade wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:51 pm I'm guessing that the budget composite interface that I'm looking at would benefit from a decent input signal.

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again.
What are you looking at? Composite to HDMI? I have a Retrotink 2x Mini and it doesn't like my superboard at all, neither did my cheapo Amazon composite to HDMI adapter, but with the buffered and standard composite I can plug directly into displays that use composite and get a good image. Yours may be fine if its PAL though.
jazzade

Post by jazzade »

Yes, I'm looking at getting the cheap Amazon composite to HDMI interface from Amazon that a mentioned earlier in the thread. There's clearly a reason that professional interfaces cost £200+

Given your experiences with this, perhaps I should look on eBay for a 4:3 LCD monitor that has a composite input.

*** UPDATE ***
It seems that the Dell UltraSharp 2007FPB 20" 4:3 monitor is the pick of the bunch for this application!
Last edited by jazzade on Wed May 01, 2024 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

jazzade wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:11 pm Yes, I'm looking at getting the cheap Amazon composite to HDMI interface from Amazon that a mentioned earlier in the thread. There's clearly a reason that professional interfaces cost £200+

Given your experiences with this, perhaps I should look on eBay for a 4:3 LCD monitor that has a composite input.
I got a small 10" display from Ali Express for £34 and it works just great, I think I linked to it in the other thread. It does PAl & NTSC so pretty handy.

Depends how big you want though, I have a large Dell display with composite onboard and that works fine too, though it doesn't have any model numbers on it.
jazzade

Post by jazzade »

I think the 10" ones are a little optimistic for my eyesight!

The Dell 2007FPB does support composite PAL & NTSC so I'll keep my eye on eBay over the next week or so and see whether I can get one for a bargain price.

https://dl.dell.com/manuals/all-product ... _en-us.pdf
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

jazzade wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:28 pm I think the 10" ones are a little optimistic for my eyesight!

The Dell 2007FPB does support composite PAL & NTSC so I'll keep my eye on eBay over the next week or so and see whether I can get one for a bargain price.

https://dl.dell.com/manuals/all-product ... _en-us.pdf
That looks like a later version of my Dell, let me know how you get on with it if you get one.