My Klyball 600D build

ronin47

Re: My Klyball 600D build

Post by ronin47 »

Mark wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:29 pm NULL8 isn't required for saving, in fact OSI defaults to 10 NULLS between <CR> & <LF>, and the NULL command appends even more after <LF>

After entering or loading your BASIC file, to save to cassette, all you do is type "SAVE", then "LIST". This causes the OSI to output the listing to tape and print "OK" at the end (which generates a syntax error when the data is reloaded). To get out of SAVE mode you have to type "LOAD" and then hit the space bar to exit load mode. BASIC takes care of automatically writing 10 NULLS between <CR> and <LF> at the end of every line, perhaps to give the BASIC tokenizer a few ms to process the input buffer? The BASIC loading process goes through the same routine as entering data from the keyboard, which can cause a couple problems. For instance you can enter lines using ? instead of "PRINT" which can make lines longer than you can load when SAVED to tape, and BASIC will insert a newline if the BASIC statement is longer then 71 chars, breaking loading.

There are a few tips and tricks in Aardvarks First Book of OSI
Such as enter POKE517,0 to turn off SAVE mode without having to do the LOAD <spacebar> thing.

You've seen how to load machine code programs via the monitor <RESET>ML, however OSI provided no way to generate these files. The Aardvark manual has a BASIC program to do this, you can do it with on your PC with OSIALod I used to use a ROMed assembler program to do this on my OSI. I can dig it up if there is any interest.

-Mark
Thanks Mark that's all brilliant stuff :)
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

Just a quick note here, I wanted to say a big thanks to everybody whose been helping me out, it is much appreciated.
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

For various reasons I've not been able to spend much time with the 600D, just too many other distractions. Hopefully I can get back to this soon as I really do want to get the cassette in/out working.

I also need to figure out why the laptop I'm using to record from seems to drop the volume halfway through recording either via aux or tape out.

I'll get back to it as soon as I can.