Improving signal strength on Superboard II

ronin47

Re: Improving signal strength on Superboard II

Post by ronin47 »

Oh crap, that's bloody annoying 😒
Sideburn

Post by Sideburn »

I had also ordered a 9" 16:9 style "non working" one on ebay that's also an older tv and will be here friday... So we shall see how that one pans out.
If I could just get past the display situation I think it will be a fun project to turn this into a Challenger 1Portable.

Was going to model it after the Macintosh Portable. That behemoth is about the same size as the super board and weighs about 15Lbs and has a lead acid battery in it. I got a 12v 9A lead acid battery for it so once that is added it will cookout about tthe same weight haha. I went with that batter because i figure the whole thing with the display will pull about 3 or 4 amps so that would get it a couple hours of run time and these LCDs are 12V so i figured i would just use a 12V and step it down to 5v for the superboard II.

I think there's a smarter way to get the right voltages and the higher amps with only a few 1850's though. All these charger packs claim they are like 10,0000mah and only have about 4 1.2v cells in them so not sure how they are pulling that off.
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (6.46 KiB) Viewed 196 times
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

Wow, that's quite the project, I'd be interested to see how that turns out.

My Klyball 600D will be lucky if I build it a desktop case. I have the skills, it's more that I don't have the tools to build something that looks relatively period correct.

Given my next build is going to be a 610 expansion board, I think it unlikely that I'd build any sort of case until that's done anyway on account of the additional board layer when the two come together.

It has been a fun build, but not cheap, I think the keys were the biggest single cost, everything else I was able to spread over a few months.
Sideburn

Post by Sideburn »

ronin47 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:16 am Wow, that's quite the project, I'd be interested to see how that turns out.

My Klyball 600D will be lucky if I build it a desktop case. I have the skills, it's more that I don't have the tools to build something that looks relatively period correct.

Given my next build is going to be a 610 expansion board, I think it unlikely that I'd build any sort of case until that's done anyway on account of the additional board layer when the two come together.

It has been a fun build, but not cheap, I think the keys were the biggest single cost, everything else I was able to spread over a few months.
Well I plan on 3d printing it all. I can split it down the middle and bolt the halves together so it willl have a seam in the middle but maybe not too bad. That way most of my labor will be modeling it on the computer. The tricky part will be the display hinge but I have some ideas. I don't know what else to do with this board!

I'll put an access panel to the batter, charger jack, power switch, and cassette audio in and out jacks on the back and I guess that'll be it.
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

Sideburn wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:01 am
ronin47 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:16 am Wow, that's quite the project, I'd be interested to see how that turns out.

Well I plan on 3d printing it all. I can split it down the middle and bolt the halves together so it willl have a seam in the middle but maybe not too bad. That way most of my labor will be modeling it on the computer. The tricky part will be the display hinge but I have some ideas. I don't know what else to do with this board!

I'll put an access panel to the batter, charger jack, power switch, and cassette audio in and out jacks on the back and I guess that'll be it.
Looking forward to seeing it :)
Sideburn

Post by Sideburn »

Well if I can’t find a frickn’ display that works it’s not gonna happen!
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

Sideburn wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:48 am Well if I can’t find a frickn’ display that works it’s not gonna happen!
Very true!!!

My 10" display has only just left China...
Sideburn

Post by Sideburn »

Yay! We are off and running.
I think it’s a good size at 9” 16:9
And added bonus it’s a mechanical power switch so no hacking a digital soft power ordeal.

It’s got a battery in it. That was surprising. Worked out of the box. For $12.00 (+$9 shipping) Guess they thought it was broken since no more analog vhf tv anymore.
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 171 times
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

Sideburn wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:56 pm Yay! We are off and running.
And added bonus it’s a mechanical power switch so no hacking a digital soft power ordeal.

It’s got a battery in it. That was surprising. Worked out of the box. For $12.00 (+$9 shipping) Guess they thought it was broken since no more analog vhf tv anymore.

image.jpg
Nice, looks spot on!
Sideburn

Post by Sideburn »

ronin47 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:44 pm
Sideburn wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:56 pm Yay! We are off and running.

image.jpg
Nice, looks spot on!
I’m a little worried that it’s a tad too small. The width of the enclosure is going to have to be 14” since the keyboard is shifted to the right on the board.

I made a quick mockup of how the bezel gaps would be on the sides.

I guess it will be ok. The Apple portable has big gaps too. But it’s a 10” but the whole thing is wider.
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.05 MiB) Viewed 162 times
IMG_8108.jpeg
IMG_8108.jpeg (23.2 KiB) Viewed 161 times

** I just had a thought. I could maybe patch the audio from the cassette interface into the displays audio inputs so you could hear the save / loads if you wanted to… and then those gaps could be speaker grills.