OSI Portable Project

ronin47

Re: OSI Portable Project

Post by ronin47 »

Sideburn wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:42 pm It’s composite. And it was difficult to find an lcd that would sync.
Ended up using a 90s lcd tv. I just found out about the rgb2hdmi and will be using that on an Atari 8 bit to laptop conversion.
That 8 bit project sounds like one I'd follow :)

There are lots of options for the 8bit to output to other displays, such as Sophia, UAV, UGV and VBXE/VBXL. There is another, but the name escapes me.

I personally use VBXE on a couple of mine (A 65XE and an 800XL) and the output is superb, though I do use it via SCART being in the UK.
Sideburn

Post by Sideburn »

ronin47 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:35 am That 8 bit project sounds like one I'd follow :)

There are lots of options for the 8bit to output to other displays, such as Sophia, UAV, UGV and VBXE/VBXL. There is another, but the name escapes me.

I personally use VBXE on a couple of mine (A 65XE and an 800XL) and the output is superb, though I do use it via SCART being in the UK.
I didn’t know there were so many options. I use a CRT on my desktop retro machines (Atari, commodore, Amiga) but the next laptop conversion will be a 65XE PAL Arabic one I picked up on eBay. I figured the Arabic keys and PAL would make it a bit unique. For this I can use a modern LCD so I got a 4:3 11” monitor off Amazon and it works through the composite A/V but I just ordered the Rgb2hdmi / LumaCode and GTIAdigitizer off Copperdraggon in Australia.

I was surprised when I cracked open the new lcd monitor to find the the whole thing is hot glued together inside. No screws. The lcd panel is just covered in gobs of hot glue as well as the speakers. It’s going to be a challenge pulling that lcd panel out of there.

I’m off to a slow start because the Superboard project was pretty exhausting :lol:
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

Sideburn wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:18 am
ronin47 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:35 am That 8 bit project sounds like one I'd follow :)

I didn’t know there were so many options. I use a CRT on my desktop retro machines (Atari, commodore, Amiga) but the next laptop conversion will be a 65XE PAL Arabic one I picked up on eBay. I figured the Arabic keys and PAL would make it a bit unique. For this I can use a modern LCD so I got a 4:3 11” monitor off Amazon and it works through the composite A/V but I just ordered the Rgb2hdmi / LumaCode and GTIAdigitizer off Copperdraggon in Australia.

I was surprised when I cracked open the new lcd monitor to find the the whole thing is hot glued together inside. No screws. The lcd panel is just covered in gobs of hot glue as well as the speakers. It’s going to be a challenge pulling that lcd panel out of there.

I’m off to a slow start because the Superboard project was pretty exhausting :lol:
Yep, the 8 Bit Ataris are very well served for video upgrades, you're spoiled for choice.

Also, they can output (mostly) composite as stock, and S-Video with minor mods.
Sideburn

Post by Sideburn »

ronin47 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:55 am
Sideburn wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:18 am

Yep, the 8 Bit Ataris are very well served for video upgrades, you're spoiled for choice.

Also, they can output (mostly) composite as stock, and S-Video with minor mods.
Yeah my daily use Atari is a 130xe, with Fujinet, 1050, 1020, connected to my original Amdek Color I monitor I had as a kid over composite.
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

I just remembered that the other video upgrade for 8 bit Ataris is Savo.
Sideburn

Post by Sideburn »

Looks like that’s a Sega Saturn adapter for the XEGS. Well I went for the LumaCode method for the 65XE. I’m going to have to desolder the GTIA.

Now this video talk is making me try to remember if I tried using a composite video to HDMI on the Superboard II.

I’m pretty sure I did try one of those A/V to hdmi converters and had no luck. My short term memory must be going out. I could back track through the posts on here and see if I mentioned it.

I know I had a heck of a time getting anything to sync to it other than a CRT.

A pixel perfect to hdmi conversion on the superboard would be pretty cool. I have no idea how you’d pull that off though. Need to tap right in to the video somewhere before the composite conversion happens I suppose.
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

Sideburn wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:14 pm Looks like that’s a Sega Saturn adapter for the XEGS. Well I went for the LumaCode method for the 65XE. I’m going to have to desolder the GTIA.

Now this video talk is making me try to remember if I tried using a composite video to HDMI on the Superboard II.

I’m pretty sure I did try one of those A/V to hdmi converters and had no luck. My short term memory must be going out. I could back track through the posts on here and see if I mentioned it.

I know I had a heck of a time getting anything to sync to it other than a CRT.

A pixel perfect to hdmi conversion on the superboard would be pretty cool. I have no idea how you’d pull that off though. Need to tap right in to the video somewhere before the composite conversion happens I suppose.
Can't recall if I tried a composite to HDMI adapter, must revisit as I have a few, such as a cheapo Amazon one and my Retrotink 2x.
Sideburn

Post by Sideburn »

All I have is a cheapo composite to HDMI adapter from Amazon. I’m sure I must have tried it. It’s coming back to me. I was trying everything I could at the time when I was sourcing a display for this project.

On the XE, mine is PAL, I’m not going to have any issues with the lumacode digitizer and rgb2hdmi am I ?
ronin47

Post by ronin47 »

Sideburn wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:35 pm All I have is a cheapo composite to HDMI adapter from Amazon. I’m sure I must have tried it. It’s coming back to me. I was trying everything I could at the time when I was sourcing a display for this project.

On the XE, mine is PAL, I’m not going to have any issues with the lumacode digitizer and rgb2hdmi am I ?
Not a question I can answer I'm afraid as 2 of mine have VBXL and the other 2 are standard PAL and use composite.