More C1P tapes (and another emulator)

bxdanny

More C1P tapes (and another emulator)

Post by bxdanny »

No current OSI hardware
Former programmer for Dwo Quong Fok Lok Sow and Orion Software Associates
Former owner of C1P MF (original version) and C2-8P DF (502-based)
ronin47

Re: More C1P tapes (and another emulator)

Post by ronin47 »

Cool, more tape images will help me out I think once I get back to looking at this issue with loading and saving.
jbtech

Re: More C1P tapes (and another emulator)

Post by jbtech »

Thanks bxdanny for adding that link. So far I've tried the OSI Invaders tape file from the site and that one works fine.

Apart from typing a couple of short BASIC programs, saving those to tape and re loading them successfully I hadn't tried any larger programs with my Klyball 600 board so this was a good opportunity.

Initially running the program in Mark's WinOSI emulator and testing different RAM configurations I realised I would need to upgrade my on board RAM from 4k to 8k Bytes.

Having done that I just copied the .wav file directly to an older model phone (with headphone socket) turned the volume up and loaded it from there without any issues.

ohioq.jpg
ohioq.jpg (210.08 KiB) Viewed 716 times

According to some notes, the procedure was to begin with a cold start pressing 'C' ENTER ENTER then BREAK and 'M" then "L' to commence loading. After a few minutes loading the machine program and data followed by BASIC, the program ran upon completion.

ohior.jpg
ohior.jpg (108.95 KiB) Viewed 716 times

Not a bad adaptation of the game considering the limited hardware resources and lack of sound. It has no trouble with speed of play and gives a choice from impossibly fast on level 1 to very slow on level 15. I started it on level 9 which seemed quite playable.

ohios.jpg
ohios.jpg (78.97 KiB) Viewed 716 times

I haven't tried recording the .wav file to tape as yet, I do have an old style mono cassette recorder which I plan to use with the computer but it neds a bit of an overhaul as its record level is way too low so I will see if I can get that working soon.

Regards, John.
More from John's Retro Workshop http://www.jbtech.linkpc.net